The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi New to this but wonder what species can be caught from the shore using lures in Northern Scotland. What tackle/gear would people recommend I'm on quite a tight budget, hoping to spend more next year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In the winter probably not a lot, here in Dumfries and Galloway I tend to pack away the lures after october november time. I'm not sure what species you have locally so it's difficult to say.

Locall knoledge is key, try to find someone who fishes the area to find out what species are caught locally.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies I'll look into the Pollack side of things, we do get some Bass near the local power station outlet

·
Registered
21 Posts
Martin, we get Callig (pollack) all year and the odd winter Wrasse here. I dont believe there'll be much difference to you.
Not many pollack here in the winter, sorry if my posts are unhelpfull. Just lure fishing always seems to be better in summer and autumn up here. Winter usually means cloudy water so bait fishing:-o for cod, haddock and whiting is usually a better option.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Martin - from Portknockie, Rosehearty to Arbroath - you will get pollack, wrasse on lures. But as has been advised it a summer/autumn activity as when the water colours up its cod time. But the pollock are certainly worth a go. Bass - powerstations will give you a good chance I did hear of a few coming to baits further down the east coat in Fife. My guess is there could be some good bass fishing in season but very few people try it. Other than that for bass it would be Luce Bay / MUG in summer autumn.

Ivan

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Martin - I have never fished for pollack from the shore in the winter - in my younger days in Scotland I was totally pre-occupied with cod in the winter. My guess is March-October you will get pollack on lures but the sea does tend to colour-up quite quickly up the NE coast. But in the summer months you will get 5lb+ pollock on your stretch of east coast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts