The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Is there any point in fishing this time of year ? I fish off the rocks for Pollack usually with sub-surface lures - Ireland.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
For me Ray, it's just being out & about that is a big part of me still fishing at this time of year. I just happen to be standing there fishing. It beats sittin at home. I'm not sure if you're actually wanting to find out how much fish are usually about at this time of year or not, I know the bass tend to go to ground now but they say the bigger ones should still be around, certainly down here in SW England. Pollack & the like, I've no idea.

Its the thought that 'my next cast' will catch that absolute lunker, the 'fish of a lifetime' that keeps me going & coming back each time. Until I'm knackered or need tobe home for some reason, I'll never ever give up, I just never know what my next cast will bring me.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Fished all winter last year Ray with nothing really to show for it swore it wouldnt happen this year again but its tough to get away from it, hopefully this year will be a bit better got a few ideas to put in to motion....

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Where you fishing Ray? St John's point? Would have thought there would have been a good chance of Cod or Whiting. I met some divers over there a few years ago and they were saying that there were shoals of big Cod no more than 60 yards off the point. Ever managed to get into them yet??

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah St.Johns Point is my haunt. I was just wondering if I would be wasting my time. I love to just be out there also but don't want people to look at me and think 'what's that daft fecker doin fishing this time of year' ! Shoals of Cod ?! I've never caught anything other than Pollack and Wrasse up there.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I was a bit surprised Ray. This was in September 5 or 6 years ago and the divers were on the south side of the rock at the end of the point which has broken away from the main section. Trouble was at the time there were lobster pots at about the same distance and I lost a couple of sets of gear so didn't persevere for too long. They said there were a number of fish 15lb+ and that they were obviously feeding in the area as they had been around for 4 or 5 days. If they appeared then I see no reason they shouldn't be about again. Trouble is I have never seen anyone trying to fish bait with heavy rods from that area, have you??

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Ray, Why dont you get yourself a LRT kit and give that a go that's what we do in the winter, It will keep you sharp and you can try new technique's you will be surprised you will learn.
Trev

I have only seen guys fishing with lures or spinners up at the point.

Sam - what is LRT ?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Ray,
If you want a really good session on Wrasse try digging some lug from the beach on the point and lowering a worm in that deep gulley separating the rock at the end and the tip itself. My lad had 35 one day, was fantastic sport and a few decent sized ones as well. I have fished with a beach caster off the end of the point but you need to fish a rotten bottom rig and be prepared to lose some gear. Some huge Pollock as well, only had them to 6 lb myself but have seen them pulled out to 10lb.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Trev.

Wrasse give a damned good fight. I always know when I've got one on. Pollack are lovely to eat but I'm always disappointed that they give in so easily.
I don't usually go right up to the end, I think I'll give it a shot soon though as the divers probably wont be about. Just about every time I've been up to the end its been heaving with the sub-aqua club which puts me off. I normally park up on the other side of the coral beach and walk down about 1/2 mile. I have a great spot there where I've caught a good number of Pollack up to 5lb.

·
Registered
498 Posts
if theres pollock about get some lrf metals(nabura 6g) from **** and fish has light as u can, its good sport in the winter m8

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
I'm with Barry here on this one.....fished ALL through the winter last year and had sweet f all for it bar numerous downpours and frozen fingers.

I swore back in August that I wouldnt be doing it this year....but guess what? Ive been out in the snow and icy conditions and will probably do so till the summer months.

Hello my name is Crevan and I'm a Lure-aholic

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah Crevan I'll probably end up the same.... A couple of days ago I went out for the morning HT and after 20 mins decided I did not want to die of Hypothermia so like a wimp came home without a single cast... but I reckon it was a wise decision because Christ it was COLD plus a wind chill factor...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts