The Lure Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im keen to start taking trips to Ireland. Iv heard it said a few times that the best time to fish there is during the winter months, conditions permitting. Is there any truth in this if so why? Most of us struggle in the winter.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
If your coming over next winter head for Kerry or somewhere like that on the south west coast, but i would leave it till later in the year myself and the 2 lads i fish with have been out every weekend since christmas with no fish to show for it on the lures covering every part of Wexford that could hold fish complete disaster, they just aint around the shore yet ,we have bumped into a good few other lure anglers on our travels all with the same results, now i stand to be corrected but thats my tupence worth....

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
If your coming over next winter head for Kerry or somewhere like that on the south west coast, but i would leave it till later in the year myself and the 2 lads i fish with have been out every weekend since christmas with no fish to show for it on the lures covering every part of Wexford that could hold fish complete disaster, they just aint around the shore yet ,we have bumped into a good few other lure anglers on our travels all with the same results, now i stand to be corrected but thats my tupence worth....
Yeap, what Barry said.

County Kerry gets the best effect from the Gulf Stream all year round so it keeps the temps up which inturn keeps the Bass actively feeding agressively to hit the lures granted the weather allows it as Keith mentioned.

If you log onto Sea Angling Ireland and study historical catch reports, you will notice Kerry will produce first then Cork, Waterford/Wexford etc. Thats the basic trend with lures anyway, bait is a different matter. Basic geographic location dictates the South West tip of Ireland gets the most out of the Gulf Stream, its influence lessens the further East you travel,hence water temp takes longer to heat up especially after a harsh winter like the one we just had.

Hope that helps a bit.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Hi Toby

There’s no doubt that the winter fishing on the south and west coast can be spectacular – it is very weather dependant however. This doesn’t affect the temperature of the water but rather your ability to fish.

The South eastern and southern counties of Wexford, Waterford and into east and mid Cork have always tended to switch off around mid December through to April and even May. Whilst patchy fishing is only beginning now on this coastline and wont really pick up speed until possibly late June early May – some of the best fishing is priming on the south west coastline as we speak.

As a traveller to this country to catch bass, been here at the right location, tide and time is always a big challenge so my best advice to you is

South eastern, southern through to mid south western coasts are really at their best from June to October – there are of course some small exceptions to this and weather opportunities to be had from time to time

South western and up to mid west perform pretty much throughout the year once weather is on your side – there are again ‘local’ periods of phenomenal fishing which appear in the calendar – as a visitor to these areas early springtime like now and later through September, October, November and even into January and later are superb.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Its blowing a storm since last June up our end and no sign of calming down either..................

1 - 9 of 9 Posts