The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be hitting the beaches round Wexford for some whiting and codling soon with the ulx. Anyone got any suggestions for lures? Anyone know if luminous lrf lures are available?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I dont think luminous SP,s are essential, go for Shad or Prawn type shapes as you know Codling love small fish and Prawns, will be looking forward to trying this myself this winter,might be an idea to buy some rattles as well, in my experience fishing with bait and having "Booby beads" on the snoods made a big difference in my catches while fishing at night.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have some 'Tiny Xlayers' that glow. They are literally small xlayers. They did well for Pollack last late winter/spring, though I'm not sure luminous is really essential

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Tis interesting about luminous lures. I know that some of the Ecogear LRF stuff, they have selections of 'pro' colours and quite often these are luminous. I fully believe they're not essential, but do wonder what difference (if any) they make.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I caught a couple of Codling earlier this year, during the morning (an hour after sun-up) on a Swimbait (Megabait Charlie). It was the 3.5" version from memory in a dark green coloured pattern.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have over the years used lures in freshwater and saltwater that have contained a 'light source' and found it not to make any difference at all.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Example:

Pitch blackness, 25ft of water, winter, cold night fishing the long pole for Bream in freshwater with bloodworm and joker on a 22 hook.

bomb in 5 or 6 balls of joker laden groundbait, maybe hundreds of thousands of joker in there.

Float goes in, dips, Bream on.

HOW ? fish find a bloodworm or single joker fished this way in broad daylight amazes me yet, the same happens at night without any light assistance.

Put that into perspective with a Predator, geared to locate other prey in the dark and you'll see that Bass can find your lure without to much trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts