The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone target winter species with your SWFF gear...if so which species and how?
(set-up and venue types?)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Been thinking about having a go in the estuary for the flounder. Nigel is a bit handy when it comes to tue flounder, so we're planning a trip with Ben sometime soon to have a go with the soft plastics.
Not really got any ideas regarding type of flies to use, so any tips would be much appreciated.
Just waiting for a spell of dry & bright & hopefully some clearer water. Plenty of them in the river so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Winter swffing has always been akin to LRF styles same tactics here guys. For go knows how many years i only fly fished so i would spend the year in the salt when ever i could.
When the schoolies have buggered off in the most part then this usually coincides with the whitting and cod arriving also flounder.
Dependant on what you are targeting here is what i always found worked well.

Whitting small pollock, forget the clousers and deceivers hollows, flat wings ect.
Drop down to small wooly buggers in what ever colour you want i favoured white and black, big cats whiskers, and deep water marks.
I did a season where ivtied lazer lites into the flies also and fished a T14 shooting head into deep water and nailed whitting on every cast using them with woolies.

Flounder amazing fun on flies always had best results with size 4-8 crazy charlies again on fast sinkers and bouncing them along the bottom. slow retrieves all the way. turbot also take then when they are around here.

i also fished rars flies and bonita's where the pollock still held up, though scale down the sizes.
If your fishing the north cornish coast then always worth a shot with the hollow fleyes in black and white, for the resident bass that hold through out the year.
Also excellent pike fishing to be had during the winter though drop down the retrieve rate for more takes.

So in closing smaller flies and fast sinking lines to see you through the cold winter months guys and you will be surprised on the results you can have.
Hope this helps a little.

Tight lines all:shock:

Oh tip: wear neoprene gloves the ice cold water and srtipping line will freeze to the bone in minutes lol

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
oh i forgot Alex mate mullet will have all but buggered off though if your down in plymouth there are a couple of marks that produce till january / febuary then dries up a lot till may time.
If you have the straight jacket ready then the "Bann special" and corporium flies will do the business if you can find them.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Been thinking about having a go in the estuary for the flounder. Nigel is a bit handy when it comes to tue flounder, so we're planning a trip with Ben sometime soon to have a go with the soft plastics.
Not really got any ideas regarding type of flies to use, so any tips would be much appreciated.
Just waiting for a spell of dry & bright & hopefully some clearer water. Plenty of them in the river so fingers crossed.
A ragworm or shrimp pattern will do the trick fished slowly on or just above the bottom. Or trout flies like gold heads, nymphs etc but in a slightly larger size than are used for trout. You can sight fish for flounder as the tide floods in to estuaries, harbours etc if the water is clear enough.
Ragworm flies are easy to make out of girls hair bobbles if you have a bit of imagination.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
5wt and up mate dependant on here and what your fishing for, if going for mullet 6wt, bass 8wt, flounder 7-8wt due to fast sinking lines anything less and you will strip the carbide coating on the snake guides mate.
Whitting can be done on 4wt if you really up for a laugh though use cheap rods they get trashed or up to 7wt for shooting heads ect mate

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys... i have a 9# rod and i have a Rio T11 line, and lots of flies to try, so one last question (z)... for flounder or whiting/coalies...what tippet? flouro? lb strain? length?
I would hope to try this off a kayak also so ..
sandy bay's or estuarine channels?
on the flood or ebb?
Sorry for the quiz show .. but i really would like to adapt my yak/fly fishing for all seasons .. any help really welcome..

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
hi mate no worries as for tippet i used a rio or snowbee tapered salt leader with a 12lb tippet tied on.

As to yak / fly for all seasons what do you want to do specificly? Then i maybe able to advise further:-?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry... my bad... spring/ summer/ autumn sorted... :-?(i think):shock:
I have not really tried winter SWFF yet so .. now i have the yak, it opens up some new possibilities.. but where to start?
So... same questions as above ( but Winter stylie):-D

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
LRF = Light Rock Fishing meaning smaller species on smaller lures and ultra light gear good fun from what i have tried with it mate.
As for the adapting there is nothing really needed mate i would buy a scotty rod holder for the yak though make sure it is the scotty fly rod holder not baitcaster ect.

Spring summer heavier gear for bass pollock ect and during the winter lighter gear hence LRF.
Sorry for short reply but im knackered:-o

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Thanks for the input guys... i have a 9# rod and i have a Rio T11 line, and lots of flies to try, so one last question (z)... for flounder or whiting/coalies...what tippet? flouro? lb strain? length?
I would hope to try this off a kayak also so ..
sandy bay's or estuarine channels?
on the flood or ebb?
Sorry for the quiz show .. but i really would like to adapt my yak/fly fishing for all seasons .. any help really welcome..
Richard

Flounders are the first fish in to the estuaries, beach & harbours on the flood so don't be too far out in your kayak.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mike,
Would it be possible to put up some of your step by steps for some of the patterns mentioned?
Looks like I'm going down to Cornwall later in the week, so I'll give you a call to arrange a meet up if that's ok.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
hi mate

i don't have the SBS's on the laptop anymore when i stopped fly tying i deleted them from the hard disk. Though i know where i an find them mate i will look through htis evening and pm you the details for them. Presume your after:

wooly buggers
decievers
hollows
flatwings
charlies
cats whiskers
bonitas

should keep you out of trouble for a while mate, then with the sizes just increase and decrease the sizes so you have a full selction there also another top water surface pattern is the jambo water walker a sea trout pattern though i took several bass of the top early this year using them also snake flies the same but deadly.
Yeah mate let me know when your comming through andi will get the vice ready for you i have a few other bits i found you can have aswell mate.

tight lines

1 - 20 of 24 Posts