The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
You'll get different answers Pat.

I like to use it around structure (around boulders, running up gulleys, over kelp beds . . . ).

My preferred method is a short-sharp, stop-start affair. After splash down, i let it settle for a short while, then get it coming towards me walking the dog (the lure tends to do that very easily), then stop . . . . . . . . twitch twitch . . . . . . . . . then perhaps add a little variation - keep the rod tip down, and give the lure a few short sharp cranks. That will send the lure just sub-surface. Then, let it bob back up . . . . . pause . . . . . twitch twitch . . . . . BANG !!!!!!!!

:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
I agree with Pat, I find the zclaw great for working gulleys and over weed beds, I have best results when it's twiched, never had a bite when it's not being worked, I play the 'Dying Fish' card, if it looks like a fish struggling in the water the bass will hit it.
However I fish estuaries where the water depth is only 10 feet deep and pretty calm, not sure how well I would do in choppy waters.

Does anybody have problems with gulls trying to grab z-claws? I get it non stop, one day I will remove the trebles and allow a gull to steal it and have some fun flying my *new* remote control gull instead. ;-)

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Does anybody have problems with gulls trying to grab z-claws? I get it non stop, one day I will remove the trebles and allow a gull to steal it and have some fun flying my *new* remote control gull instead. ;-)
Great sport flying a 'remote controlled' Blackback a couple of weeks ago! Slack line? Pah! Made him work for it! Also had the bonus effect of scaring all the other Herring gulls off. My mate wasn't impressed when I nominated him as the unhooker though! He was a happy boy when the Blackback dropped the lure...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nice one Tim :lol:

I found this one mooching around under some jetsam and flotsam this morning.

I dont tend to walk the dog as a twitch or a splash gives me good results.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Slow works best for me - a few twitches or a very gentle walk as already mentioned. If a gull spots it, just stop dead - if there is a ripple on the water they usually lose sight and give up. Then once he's gone twitch it again and you'd be surprised by the number of hits you'll get. I think the gulls can attract the bass - makes sense really.
Worst lures for gulls are poppers in my area - virtually impossible to fish them without a flock descending on you. And it'll get worse next month when the youngsters start 'hunting'...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts