The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best newbie starting point for using surface lures, Patchinko's, Chug bugs etc, fast or slow straight retrieve, cast and wait then gentle jerks with pauses and slow retrieve?
Thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well my three top water lures are sammy, Patchinko and z claw. Your pretty much there with the action just get out on your mark and practice.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hi Steve, if you key in the name of each lure into the search box on www.youtube.com you will find a whole range of videos showing how people work them. I find it much easier and have more confidence when I see how things are done as opposed to my interpretation of a description. Youtube is turning out to be a great fishing resource with all sorts of examples and demonstrations.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Steve, just start with a basic retrieve for poppers to keep it simple until you have more confidence to try new things and learn other methods.

Cast high so the splash down has the biggest effect/impact as possible. Take up most of the slack. Wait for at least 10 secs. Start with a big pop/gurgle (having a little slack helps with this) and then pop 5 times with 1-3 second intervals. Wait again for a MINIMUM of 10 seconds and then pop again 5 times with 1-3 second intervals etc etc etc until it's right back to your feet.

Hope that helps, but remember (took me 2 years for this to sink in) try your best to find the fish first!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies Fellas, Ive written the advice down so I remember your advice James, John I will take a look at those vids on youtube thanks.

Do top lures work in deepish water? at a guess I expect it would depend on clarity and also overhead conditions, I can't imagine Fish to be looking up through the layers of water during bright blue sky days, not sure

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
As has been said, lures like the Gunnish (Gunfish), Sammy, Patchinko and Z-Claw practically walk themselves, they are very easy lures to use with little movement needed. Cast out, let it rest, twitch it, twitch it again, walk it for a few slow swoops from side to side, let it rest, do it all again. Thats kind of how I do it.... good luck mate, now is the crazy time of year when it all starts getting very easy on the top, my favourite time of year :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts