The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What your worst job? Mine was probably the couple of months I was a Crab Sucker. Money was ok, conditions were terrible (German WWII bunker). I look back on those days and somehow think it was fun.

CRAB SUCKER. Beat that!!!!

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
What your worst job? Mine was probably the couple of months I was a Crab Sucker. Money was ok, conditions were terrible (German WWII bunker). I look back on those days and somehow think it was fun.

CRAB SUCKER. Beat that!!!!
wtf is a crab sucker ****

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh sorry, its basically getting the meat out of crabs for crab sandwiches/salads etc. Its not done by mouth anymore, we got a milking machine and took the teet suckers off (well after plugging it on just to see....dont, I repeat dont do what any young man does when left alone with a milking machine!!! :)) We replaced the teet suckers with two single pipes. You boil the crabs, rip their legs off backwards, that rips the knuckles out too, then use the nozzle to suck the meat out, when youre good you can get all the meat out of a crab in about 30 seconds. Keep the claws and sell them seperately. Throw the legs away, they are too fiddly and the meat isnt the nicest, or sell a carrier bag of legs to people for a fiver.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Only on Jersey.

I had a some sheep on the road the other day. Never saw Jim Bergerac deal with a job like that!

Worst job for me, I used to eye spuds in a chippy when I was a kid, certainly know a thing or too about boredom.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Working on the renovation of the wing of the local sanitorium.

Including dismantling the padded cell! Found a Marvel comic on a ledge that no human should have been able to reach. Either the real Spiderman was in there or they really do climb the walls.

Trying not to watch the occupants of the high risk wing self harming (see how high you can get a swing to go then put your face in the way, etc).

Finding a discarded box of postcards sent to a resident by his loving folks as they toured the world.

Poor sods. I nearly needed counselling myself by the time I left.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Used to work in a run down factory makin impellers for fuel pumps on an old power press...may not sound bad but 6500 a day was quite boring.Then got back into decorating and just have to put up with the odd loony.One job i had a few years back was for old chap that had a 5 minute memory....had to reasure him countless times through the day that i wasnt an intruder.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Fishing Guide-WORST JOB IN THE WORLD
when your guiding rich talentless snobs, who may have the cash to travel the world fishing. But would be out fished by the average 8 year old.
Think standing watching as they blow a dead easy cast you have poled the skiff for 20 minutes to set up, for the tenth time that day. If some of them knew how close to to being pushed off the skiff they were!!! Try being in some of the best fishing locations in the world-NOT BEING ABLE TO FISH YOURSELF-Torture!!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Worked for a company in Scotland that netted eels. Was 18 at the time, first job before going to uni. Started out looking after the trout on the farm then managed 6 weeks as part of the eel netting team. Would set 50+ sets of fyke nets out over 3 lochs and hammer a loch night after night until it was emptied of eels. Then we would put 100 trout in!! What a laugh, £20k worth of eels every couple of nights and we put £100 of trout in in return. Horrible job, everything covered in slime, but paid well, took me 7 years to earn more pay per week.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i used to prune/ shear 1000+ xmas trees a day with a couple of mates. think being in a tangle of very sharp sticklebricks (remember those) with full waterproofs on in the middle of a 1990's summer sweating like mad and then running your shearing sword into a bees nest.... we made a lot of cash and had a great time when looking back but after tree no 879 that day when you're running like mad through a field of xmas trees with about 1000 bees chasing you it felt like hell....

·
Registered
498 Posts
worked at an auction when i 1st left school, used to get an extra couple of quid tues/thurs evenings for standing at the back and raising bids!! til i got chased out by some grufty lookin blokes and the auctineer took a good hiding, only lasted 6wks thank god

·
Registered
340 Posts
Spent 2 years on Kibbutz's in Israel and there where a fair few crap jobs the locals didnt do, but the worst I did had to be when:

I was working in 2 Semi Battery (4 to a small cage but not tied down) chicken houses that held 40.000 chickens beetween them, and one morning following the usual drinking sessions we got to work to find the sprinklers that spray cooled the chickens every hour through the night in the 40+ degrees heat in the sheds had malfunctioned and we had to clear all the dead chickens out, if some where still breathing they wanted them left in incase they got a egg or 2 more out of them - only about 100 had survived of the 40.000 - 10 skips of dead chickens and a week of lifting them out - can still smell it now! :-(

·
Registered
623 Posts
Has to be when I was really skint before christmas. I did 2 weeks working in the killing shed of a turkey farm. I had to go into a pitch black barn and grab 4 turkeys 2 in each hand and then into the killing shed where I put them onto a rack by their feet upside down then zap em and then slit the throats and then rip their flight feathers off the wings with my bare hands by the end of each day we were wading in blood and feathers with open sores on our hands. It certainly was not worth £600 for two weeks of shear hell and I have never eaten turkey since!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
FOR FECK SAKE **** WHAT HAVE YOU STARTED HERE A MONTY PYTHONS SKETCH?

By the looks of things the average age of the members must be 85 and they've all had hard lives.....:wink::wink:

Can't miss an opportunity to have a good moan can we..after all we are British...:-D:-D

Working in the gut room of an abatoir flushing the sh1t out of the cows stomach (tripe) by putting a hose up the *rse hole and holding the throat closed until the gut had ballooned and had enough pressure to eject all the sh1t in one go. Unfortunately every now and again one would burst under the pressure and cover everyone in..yes you guessed..sh1t......

What a lovely job...:-D:-D

Aaahh don't you miss the good old days.......

Reactions: Dave Watson

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Father ****, please forgive me, here is my story:
In the mid-eighties I was working on an automated Long-liner. We would wander round the Irish Sea looking for shoals of Spurdogs to eradicate. On finding a shoal, the machine would auto-bait strings of hooks, usually 4000 or 8000 long. After 4hrs or so we haul the strings, if we had a good hit there would be a fish on almost every hook. The fish would then be hauled up over the side (my job was on the 6-pointed gaff to catch the many that slipped the hook at this point). The machine then ripped the hook out of the fish’s mouth – usually by just tearing their jaws in half, then they fell down below decks. After hauling it was time to get below to ice and grade the fish. On a “good” haul it would be 4ft deep in fat 20lb bitches, as you walked over them the partialy developed pups would be popped out, the spurs would go through your boots and gloves, it was bloody grim. I was 20 years old and earning £800 a week (sometimes!) so it was rose-tinted specs all round at the time. Looking back I feel appalled. L

·
Registered
894 Posts
My worst job was probably when i worked as a Care in the Community Social Worker about 20 years ago. Some of the slums i had to go into to assess people were not fit enough to have an animal living in far less a human being..... I still think of some of the people i came across and wonder if their lives have changed now after i had placed them in an appropriate Care setting :???::???:.
I still work in the Care environment but am now caring for people as opposed to placing them in care and this "work" is so very rewarding :-D:-D:-D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I did a string of dull temp jobs when I was a student:
Three days in the car park outside the NEC for the Motor Show, opening and closing car doors on a fleet of 7 Series BMWs for BMW's corporate guests was the pits. What they say about the weather in Birmingham is true!
Two stints in the stockroom of Woolworths taking all the deliveries up to the stock room and stacking endless cages of Roses & Quality Street for Christmas wasn't too clever either!
Perhaps the worst was the summer I spent in the Butlins Holidays Booking call centre. Oh my god - I had no idea what dull people existed in the UK. They would phone up and ask if there was anything cheaper than £99 for a week's holiday for a family of four. I ask you!
There are more but these are three "lowlights" of my early career....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hmm!!! after reading some of yours I think I have been quite lucky over the years!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts