The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that bass can sometimes be attracted right in when a rain-laden river is pushing more than usual into the sea. We certainly have that here today. Has anyone had experience of this?

Wondering if it's worth a punt on the North coast today around high water following last night's rain (have to seriously wangle/skive a bit from work to manage it).

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I've been thinking the same Neil - after work. Think there can be such a thing as 'too much' freshwater entering the rivers all of a sudden, but definitely worth a try I'm sure (around the edge of any coloured water making it to sea).

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
In Portugal a few weeks ago I watched several bass in the 6lb to 8lb range & dozens of mullet in the marina at Villamoura feeding on items that got washed into the marina from a pipe of around 18" to 24" diameter that was the overflow from the marsh land over the road. I had never noticed such activity around this pipe before, but this day it had rained really heavily for several hours. The pipe was submerge from about half tide up & what caught my attention first was the egret that was fishing there at low water as the tide rose the egret got pushed off his rock & the bass & mullet started heading up the pipe. It must have been 150 yards or so from the marina to the marsh through the pipe & whether they went all the way I don't know but with the amount of fish in the pipe & right outside nothing will have escaped. So definitely any sources of easy pickings from freshwater outlets are worth a look.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
You are on to something Nigel. There is a large stream outlet in one of our harbours that attracts some lovely fish but I have never seen a single person fishing it in 30 years. There is a god.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts