The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With heavy rain forecast for today and tomorrow I decided to grab a few hours on the river this morning.
I had a small fish on the very first cast which is usually a prelude to a poor day!:cry:

The 'first cast curse' held true and for the next couple of hours a normally productive stretch provided no action. I decided to walk a mile or two downstream to an area I have neglected which proved to be a good move as I soon had a nice fish of 4lb 8oz followed by a dozen or so fish between 2-3lb.

A good morning despite the rain and well worth the walk :D

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice chub Paul , or should that be nice fish chubface lol I've never caught chub on lures but its one species id like a crack at.
(Ps beware I have the image lol)
Post it :jump: :aarrg:

PS We can soon fix your lack of chub - just put me on the best marks for bass in October!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well done Paul...:clap:, I do like Chubb...:), what did you catch them on?
I've had a fantastic river season with loads of nice fish almost all of which have been caught on either the Storm Sub Wart (the larger one) or the Bomber A shallow which is almost identical. Lots of tips on techniques on the blog.

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paul it doesn't sound like you need to with results like that but do you ever night fish for them? I used to get chub on lures after dark. (Manns 1 minus and simple blade spinners).

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2
It's funny you should mention night fishing as I was thinking today it might be worth a go. The river produces 6lb fish regularly, and I've seen reports of 7lb fish and a good friend has had an 8lb fish all caught on bait. However I've had a string of 5lb chub but can't seem to break the magic 6 barrier. I had two really big fish slash at lures today but unlike their smaller bretheren they refused second tries, even when changing lures and angles.It occurred to me that maybe the bigger fish might be easier to fool in the dark or semi darkness of dawn and dusk. I will be going back to the same area to try for them again rest assured! :grin:

· Registered
667 Posts
Ive had them to 6 1/4 lb on bait,and ive seen loads of 7's and an 8.6oz,as Walter says,you will improve your chances of a better fish on the edge of dark,and into darkness.I watched a guy plugging for them a few years ago,he outfished me baitfishing(glueing halibut pellets) and he prefared a red lure,said it produced more fish for him,i tried some red paste in the winter when it was clear and it deffo worked.

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive had them to 6 1/4 lb on bait,and ive seen loads of 7's and an 8.6oz,as Walter says,you will improve your chances of a better fish on the edge of dark,and into darkness.I watched a guy plugging for them a few years ago,he outfished me baitfishing(glueing halibut pellets) and he prefared a red lure,said it produced more fish for him,i tried some red paste in the winter when it was clear and it deffo worked.
I have tried early and late often, but maybe not in the right place - the stretch I moved the two big fish today is a new area to me ;-)

· Registered
4,249 Posts
Actually that lure was the Manns Baby 1 minus. The smaller version of the 1 minus. Just in anyone goes looking for one. But I'm sure the the lures you are using are just as good if not better. The chub certainly seem to like them!

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually that lure was the Manns Baby 1 minus. The smaller version of the 1 minus. Just in anyone goes looking for one. But I'm sure the the lures you are using are just as good if not better. The chub certainly seem to like them!

I have a few 1-minus but they dive too quickly for my liking - I like to use the ones I mentioned as 'wake' baits. :-D They are good if you need to reach fish in slightly deeper water or on days when they refuse to take lures off the surface.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.