The Lure Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I have done ?

I'm up to my chest in pretty clear water, in a strongish cross current, fish are surrounding me and lots of them and breaking the surface. Admittedly there were mullet in there also jumping around along with the shirleys. I threw everything at them bar the kitchen sink........
Weighted SP
Unweighted SP
Shallow runners
Suspending
Sinking
Top Water

Nada, nothing, zilch
Lots of interest, lots of follows, but no attempts to actually take the lure.
Is there something that I should of been doing that I wasn't.... or was I doing something that I shouldn't have been doing.
To be honest I didn't mind catching really it was just good fun to be on the water watching them swim about, but I would like to try and understand what might of gone on, so I'll know better next time
Perhaps it just wasn't teatime.........

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Did you try something really small like 2-3" long, Often find bass "locked" on to small baitfish in shallow water around here, a small lure (even a 10g halco twister) will get nailed when they just won't touch any larger.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Dave I didnt....
the smallest I tried was small xslayer, and a 85mm flash minnow ( which a lovely plug/ action btw).
I'll take that on board and give it a go next time if the situation arises.
I have got some 2 & 3'' Reins sp's perhaps I'll give them a go. Just need to sort out some jigs for them that are heavy enough
for the current, but the right size hook etc,
thanks
paul

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I quite enjoy it when something like that happens to me, in a perverse kind of way. Kind of throws you on your head and really makes you think and work at it. I find throwing my rod and smoking works to calm the mind, then as Dave has said, go as small as you've got and go s l o w with it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I quite enjoy it when something like that happens to me, in a perverse kind of way. Kind of throws you on your head and really makes you think and work at it. I find throwing my rod and smoking works to calm the mind, then as Dave has said, go as small as you've got and go s l o w with it.
Yep... like you Mark I enjoyed it greatly, Ill try smaller and slower for def ......thanks

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
In current.

The 'water' and not you should do the work.

If fish are visibly up in the water, do not use a heavy jig. however, always choose a smaller lure first.

IF fish aren't visible, still only use 'just enough' weight. Always cast 'uptide' and drift it...

Don't retrieve unless you have too.

If you find you are snagging on the drift, go lighter.

Don't follow the lure with just the rod, use your hips too.

Optimum times in cross current are gentle F1 -3 upcurrent breezes. Hold the line off the water as much as 'keeping contact' allows.

good luck.

Questions ? Just ask.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In current.

The 'water' and not you should do the work.

If fish are visibly up in the water, do not use a heavy jig. however, always choose a smaller lure first.

IF fish aren't visible, still only use 'just enough' weight. Always cast 'uptide' and drift it...

Don't retrieve unless you have too.

If you find you are snagging on the drift, go lighter.

Don't follow the lure with just the rod, use your hips too.

Optimum times in cross current are gentle F1 -3 upcurrent breezes. Hold the line off the water as much as 'keeping contact' allows.

good luck.

Questions ? Just ask.
Thanks Keith. I did wonder whether using a weighted weedless hook because of the weed was a good idea or
would it give a better presentation to use a jig head, and risk the chance of getting weeded up.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
ok, right, now let me explain something that might help.

for yourself, or someone not used to fishing in the described manner, a weedless presentation isn't 1st choice.
It might be with experience but not now.

Plastic hitting the bottom is rarely defined enough so to someone not used to feeling for takes, plastic to bottom contact is nowhere close to metal(jig)and lure to bottom contact.

In the former case, weedless lures just rebound with little noise or feel unless line weighting skills are high and the fish are giving bold bites.
Metal to bottom contact is felt much, much easier and this way, you will get your jig weight more accurate, more quickly.

Aim to get bottom contact just as the jig passes your 12 o'clock. Then, lift, (quick wrist action(Ask Ritchie for best techniques LOL)) then, line weight again until the run through is complete.

Then, cast further or take a few steps left or right and repeat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aim to get bottom contact just as the jig passes your 12 o'clock. Then, lift, (quick wrist action(Ask Ritchie for best techniques LOL)) then, line weight again until the run through is complete.

Then, cast further or take a few steps left or right and repeat.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Keith perfect instructions......
I'll give it a go next time out. Any particular type of sp, Ive been using Fin S Fish and Xslayers ? Should I be looking a paddle tails

Well Ritchie ?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The faster the swing and current the straighter the tail (that's my general starting rule).

Always ring the changes though and remember, shape of jig head can speed up or slow down fall rate too.

G

·
The faster the swing and current the straighter the tail (that's my general starting rule).

My theory is: fast current thick or forked tail to give maximum vibration. Slack tide = thin or straight tail to at least create some small vibration.

I am also interested in how it feels when a texas rigged soft plastic hits the bottom. Should i use ultra thin braid and a soft rod or should it be visible through the way the main line behaves?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

Then, cast further or take a few steps left or right and repeat.
Thanks Keith perfect instructions......
I'll give it a go next time out. Any particular type of sp, Ive been using Fin S Fish and Xslayers ? Should I be looking a paddle tails

Well Ritchie ?[/QUOTE]

missed this! Very funny though guys

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
My theory is: fast current thick or forked tail to give maximum vibration. Slack tide = thin or straight tail to at least create some small vibration.

I am also interested in how it feels when a texas rigged soft plastic hits the bottom. Should i use ultra thin braid and a soft rod or should it be visible through the way the main line behaves?
Ahh..good questions.

thin (not weak) braid, yes. get YGK in PE 1.2 for all the strength you'll ever need. Plug or jig.
Soft rod ?, NO not soft, sensitive. You want the rod to transmit bottom terrain. Tubular tipped rods work best at this IMHO.

Maximum vibration ?

Not in our experience unless targeting school fish.

Subtlety pays dividends.

In order of current strength....

Straight pin tail
fluke tail
slug tail
cut curly
full curl
trimmed paddle fat neck
standard paddle like GT Shad
full tail on narrow neck, like spindleworm
( Hammertails or weighted tails like swim senko, Large beaver tails on narrow neck. )

Thinner lines transmit more feel. Also allow for the faster fall of the thinner lines and adjust accordingly.

Texas rigged baits bump rather than tap unless you peg the weight. Add a glass bead for more click.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts