The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well seems as i have decided to return to lure fishing only, and much research and umming and ahhrrrghing over the past week or two.
I have settled on rods to start off with and build from there over the years.

0 -10 gram quantum lfr rod with my stradic 2500
10 - 30 grams teklon concept 802 with my stradic 4000
15 - 50 grams teklon concept 832 with stradic 4000

Am i safe to asume thats these 3 rods would cover lrf, soft plastics and hhard plastics distance ect?
I pretty much have everything else i would need i.e reels clthing waders ect.

thanks again guys

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nice selection of rods, but if you are looking for distance off the shoreline on the heavier rod-better look closer to 9'6"

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks dave would it be advisable for 9'6 in around 30 - 60 gram weight? i could add that to the collection. i need 2 of each rod weight to cover fishing for me and the missus when she fishes with me.
I will be buying them through out the next 12 months, so money should be a problem may look into the AFAW 9ft range for longer rods.
Thanks again

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I would look at casting weights along the lines of 10-45g. Realisitcally you won't be casting lures much over 35-40g for bass.

Reactions: Mike Sullivan

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks again dave i have just checked the AFAW rod on ben's site looks perfect in 9ft for a slightly longer rod. dont want to go to 10ft really as i like 9ft rods used to them from my salt fly rods.
will grab them in due course, though nothing happening untill the mullet bugger off still workng on them for a mo.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
If you have a mullet float rod don't ignore the float jig with a soft lure for a range of fish.

Pollack, Bass and Wrasse.

Of course, held back in flow a small lightweight spoon will 'just' wobble too...

Loads of choice. Just get out there and try something different.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I own a "Ed Schliffke Rock Hopping Pluger" which I have owned for a few years now which I paid £45.00 for and I catch plenty of fish with Sp,s and hard plastics with that rod teamed with a shimano Baitruner 5010 reel, but I will say that it is important that you have the right diameter of braid to get the SP,s to work properly, so you do not need to go to great expense to get the right kit to do the job and I am sure there are bargains to be had out there that are combos which will be more than suitable to do the job.

·
Registered
364 Posts
just get the 1 teklon 802... mines been fine for sps up to the usual suspect plugs including feed shallows, maria chase, tide minnows up to the big patchinko... handles all well. even a 28g bass wedge/ toby is fine..... apart from the fact it just broke its been a great rod - veals say they never break so I must have had a dud...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys looks like i have the right rods for the job here then and i shall start off the new collection.
looking forwards to a fresh challenge.

Thanks all. :|

1 - 9 of 9 Posts