The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following a tough few months I got a few hours leave to go fishing yesterday afternoon

10 minutes drive from the in laws house and I was on a promontory that the locals don't fish due to the shallow shelving and inaccessibility at anything other than low tide. As I walked over one exposed channel in particular I thought that I had better keep an eye on it as the tide came in.

Covered in billions of tiny mussels and lots of drop offs channels and bodies I was thinking of pollock initially

I rigged up with a 1/4 oz fl yellow #2 jighead and a 3" gulp minnow.

3 or 4 slow rolling casts and I was on. The usual bulldogging run and a dent sized wrasse was at my feet.

Over the next 3 hours I moved every 10th or 15th cast and the action was constant.

The last 2 wrasse measured 58cm and 60cm and ran me into snags. I just allowed some slack line and the fish swam free and I was able to regain tension and get them in.
As I came back to the channel I made it across with the water lapping at the top of my chest waders (whew)

so 3 lessons yesterday
1 watch the tide
2 wrasse like areas with minimal fishing pressure
3 if a wrasse bricks you release tension and they will swim free.

All fish caught on my 6 foot UL rod with 1000 Stella and 5lb powerpro with 6lb mason hard leader

pics tomorrow when I get home

Nick

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LRF too ;-)

I ended up with 7 wrasse and 1 mini pollock

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
LRF too ;-)

I ended up with 7 wrasse and 1 mini pollock
Oh, absolutely. I noticed the lines in your OP. Very brave but, not impossible. I think many guys get hung up with this super strong lines thing. You just dont need it.
Get a rod that cushions the line and drag setting that protects the rod...

Job done.

·
Registered
179 Posts
IMGP2053.JPG

Had a great Wrasse soft Plastic session myself on rough ground near Spiddal Co Galway with my father in law recently, they are sooo close in i was casting under arm into any holes I could see at my feet with my 7' Shukan and 3000 Certate, excellent sport! Didn't know about the slack line thing, good to know. I would opt for small baits though, was using 4" death Adder 4" Finesse wave worms, small Xlayers mounted mainly on 7g finesse darter heads but would try smaller. gets you thinking about other methods, fly definitely and how about a roach pole with strong elastic :-D:-D:-D

Attachments

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cripes !! They must have gone like stink on LRF gear !!!! I also experienced the 'give them some slack' method of getting them out of holes at the weekend. Worked for me too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg As promised pics! (1 to 5 - in order they were caught)

the backgrounds should give any newbies an idea of what to look for (in western ireland anyway!)

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
... and 6 and 7
the last 2 and the 2 pigs of the bunch

6.jpg 7.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Excellent fish Nick, excellent fishing! Wish I have the nerve/skill/confidence to try 5lb line!

Well 5lb powerpro actually tests out at 15lb so theres no real nerve/skill/confidence needed
Plus given the fact a lighter outfit enables you to throw 1/16 and 1/8 oz heads which equate to more bites, I don't understand why more people aren't going lighter

Even the biggest of my fish only bricked me temporarily because if the area I was fishing, not because of any inadequacy in the outfit
If wrasse commonly grew to 10lb or above as like the Australian black drummers or blue gropers I would beef up my tackle
but wrasse only fight in a first dash and once you turn their head you usually have them IMHO

Nick

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have tested my PowerPro in the .19mm diameter and that is very consistant at 15lbs,I dont know about how the 5lbs could be 15lbs as well ?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have tested my PowerPro in the .19mm diameter and that is very consistant at 15lbs,I dont know about how the 5lbs could be 15lbs as well ?
what does .19 claim to be as its BS?
and how are you testing the BS?

There are a umber of websites which test various braid lines and their true BS

Powerpro
5lb = 15lb
8lb = 12lb
20lb = 37lb
30lb = 42lb

source: http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/4linetesting.htm

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
what does .19 claim to be as its BS?
and how are you testing the BS?

There are a umber of websites which test various braid lines and their true BS

Powerpro
5lb = 15lb
8lb = 12lb
20lb = 37lb
30lb = 42lb

source: http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/4linetesting.htm
.28 diameter = 30lbs
.23 diameter =20lbs
.19 diameter =15lbs

These are tried and tested,I tested my lines using a set of ruben heaton scales.
Do a search on the site for Vidars powerpro scale,its totally spot on.
The 'actual' breaking strains are spot on for the given diameters,the figures that are on the boxes are not in anyway accurate on the spools that are printed in metric.The USA printed 'imperial' ratings are accurate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts