The Lure Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was last out, I found a beautiful place with flat fishing platforms dropping down in to about 12' of water with a lot of kelp present in places. Unless I dropped a bait on one of the occasionally visible sandy spots in between the kelp, the current eventually washed an exposed hook point on a static lure in to trouble.

How have you guys been fishing around heavy kelp? Or have you been avoiding it (or at least fishing away from it)?

As far as I could tell, landing a bait IN the kelp wasn't getting it too far - other than eventually hooking up with the current moving the bait, it would also not have been visible to fish.

A swimming bait is obviously an easy get-out, but it hardly goes by most of the theories and tactics being developed.

How do you approach thick kelp?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
not sure mate every time my lure hits a lump off weed i rip it out but i may be doing the wrong thing ill leave it next time just to see what happens

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I'm trying lots of stuff to deal with Kelp.

weedguards, texan, heavier jigs...

ultimately, with techniques like dropshot and float jig, you loose that (we think) vital bottom contact.

Paul B and I do have a few idea's to bring in some working methods from other heavily weeded fishing with bigger fish but...
Kelp, well kelp is damn tough stuff. it's bringing a whole new set of problems. And, to be honest, I love the challenge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts