The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to just see if there is a pattern with this, as I believe there probably is, even with the fact that some marks fish better on incoming and some better on the drop. And what makes a good wrasse mark?

I am of course going on the findings I made when fishing for wrasse with live hard back green crabs, but it did at least show when the wrasse were feeding or even in the area.

Two of my favourite marks were rarely fished marks by other anglers, and more often than not any anglers that did fish them usually fished for other species. So first of all I would mention that I found marks that had little or no fishing pressure did produce better fish. I do mean fishing for wrasse pressure there. Of course it is fishing we are talking about here and there are always exceptions to the rule. So often I have seen a kid or novice pull out a clonking wrasse on a pier, right at their feet whilst all us "experts" are casting out to the horizon (seen a double figure bass caught on a kids outfit once while I had live mackerel out!) Anyway I digress.

Sea State -
I always struggled to get any wrasse when the sea was rough. Swell though can be great, I remember one wrasse trip to Alderney we were fishing a gully with a big swell washing up it and emptying at least 6 foot of water on the back wash. We were getting no bites at all until we scaled our weights down to about 2oz, this meant our crabs were being washed up the gully about 20ft to our left, and on the back wash were racing past us and ending up about 20ft to our right. It was amazing to feel the wrasse plucking at the crabs as they were getting washed left to right so vigorously. One of the lads with us stayed with a 5oz or 6oz weight, crab hard on the bottom of the gully barely moving. He was convinced he was right, but after a few wrasse came out and he could see the amount of bites we were getting he soon swapped down to a 2oz. In all fairness though to anyone that thinks they do well in rough weather, I have caught in rough seas but I generally found fishing in close in confused seas made it hard to fish, but if it is possible to fish then don't be put off, after all wrasse will love the rough water to chuck up prawns and blennies etc.

Shirvy -
Now this may seem un purist, but any of you that have wondered if it works......well it did for us when bait fishing. Wrasse love crabs, prawns, fish meat and they absolutely love winkles, I mean they crave them. So a bucket of shirvy will bring them to you and keep them there for longer than usual.

Marks -
It can be anywhere, I have seen huge wrasse from piers as well as rock marks, so just try some close in stuff. What I did find is a lot of people go on about wrasse “holes”. Now it took me a while to suss what they really meant, but what I found is a hole can be anything from the obvious deeper part of the sea bed, to narrow gullies or even under cut ledges. So when scouring around the bottom of cliffs when generally plugging, keep an eye out for steep sided rocks as well as deep holes. Wrasse can turn up in the strangest of places though, so often I have seen wrasse caught on bare rocks, free of weed completely (look at the rocks in Lukes video). I would say the terrain I feel most confident with though (for bigger wrasse) is when you can fish almost vertical, I suppose it really comes down to the fact that I felt I had more of a chance landing a fish when having the advantage of getting it up in the water quite quickly. Just to add a foot note whilst mentioning getting the fish up in the water, I found a fast retrieve multiplier reel best for wrasse fishing with bait, I have not decided if its the same when fishing for wrasse with a fixed spool yet.

Tide -
The only times I didn't have much luck on most of the marks I fished was over the high water, but like I say it could well have just been the mark, not the fish. Over the slack water on low it could be tough, my favourite times on most marks were about and hour into the flood til about half tide up (or maybe a little more on some marks), and then just after high tide and on the drop til about 2 hours before low. One mark we did really well at, a lot over 4lb, quite a few over 5lb and 3 over 6lb actually fished really well for the first hour after high and then it would go quiet for an hour or two and then it would get very good again for about an hour (this was when we got the 5's and 6's). I find they do like tide, but not too much. As for the size of the tides, again its the Goldilocks sizes that were best, not too big, not too small, we loved any tide from 28ft to 32ft, if your not from Jersey then that means a few days before or a few after a big neap or a small spring.

I don't know if any of this helps anyone, I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar findings and it helps me to write this down before I get too old and forget it!!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Have to agree with pretty much everything there **** and similar findings on the lures for me. My PB came on a big hardback down the side of St peter Port Breakwater at 5-12. Went like a demon but I have had no luck there with lures only tried a couple of times though, not the kind of place for lure fishers...

Tide size, my findings seem the same, huge tides don't produce much and neaps are OK but the inbetweens are best. High is better than low.

Good post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts