The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been thinking alot about this straight tail v's paddle tail thing.

Just to say before I go any further that, I personally don't think it makes any difference and its all just down to confidence.

However........ ;)

I've had... I'd say 80% off my wrasse on small paddle tail baits (2" - 4"). DOA, One up Shads, Bubble Shads, Bass Assassin etc... the list goes on!!

Now recently I've been going fishing with a few other guys. Now Daniel and Ben had never wrasse fished before with s.p's, so they asked me to help them get started on what baits they needed. Now I'm no expert and can't talk all the science that some talk about fishing. All I could do was advise them on what works for me.... So I did. Paddletails...

So with that confidence of mine, it gives them a small amount of confidence to get them started. As a result... they catch fish. ;)

I've heard people say that, yes you do catch on paddle tails but as its a moving lure its usually smaller fish. As there more aggressive and get there first before the big ones? So I had a look back through my photos to get a range of the fish we have had on moving and deadstick paddletails only! They range from 1/2lb to 5 1/2lb.

I have a slightly larger, aggressive sister by the way and I know if there was ever nice food in my house, when I was growing up, she would get there first and if I tried to get the doughnuts off her then she would become aggressive and win ;)

I'm not saying you don't catch good fish on straight tails either by the way. As Luke, Mark, Dave and MANY other have proved you do. I've had them on straights too. However I want people to know that paddletail softies are just as good!!

I just wanted to maybe give people a bit of confidence when it comes to paddles from wrasse :)

REMEMBER - CONFIDENCE IS NINE TENTHS OF THE LURE

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Bang on Richie. All about confidence.

I use paddles quite a bit, bubbling shads and rockvibes seem to be good. But I make straight tails and have had hundreds of wrasse from half a pound to 4.5lb as well as being bust up by much bigger. The reason i use straight tails is a simple cost one!! why but when I can make...

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Good post.

There was a rush on purple DOA CAL paddle tails earlier this year Ritchie. Remember?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hold on to them Andy. This time next year we'll be millionaires......

They discontinued them last year!

·
Registered
201 Posts
i personaly think that paddle tails are better this is becuse i dont have confidence in straight tails becuse i havent caught on them some people may think diffrent to others ?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great post Ritchie, Guiding maybe something you could be good at :wink:

·
Registered
498 Posts
i'l sort you a bag of straight tail gobies ben next time i bump into you, good job i stocked up on the purple doas, done well on delande gt paddles aswell especially the ones with the black on the back

1 - 20 of 40 Posts