The Lure Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so i've done some experimenting on this one and have some findings, well I have caught fish both times I have specifically targetted them and each time have seen various size shapes following the lure, some dark and some not so dark but all wrasse as far as I could identify. No shiny follows as yet that I have seen.

I have been using larger SP's, namely Giant Xlayers as I can get them local fairly cheap.

The giant Xlayer is 6 inches. Standard 4.5 inch I think.

I have had a few knocks and bumps, and in fact last nigth for the first time some rattles while letting the Xlayer sit on the bottom following a tap tap tap type pull with the rod, feeling it bump rock with the rod and tighten the line to regain contact while resting.

I have not yet experienced the fish ripping the bait, in fact I am on the same Xlayer after 2 hours of fishing with it several btes and 2 fish landed and it's still hanging onto the hook OK.

So, why am I not experiencing the same as the Jersey crew? It seems that the wrasse are destroying their Xlayers (4.5 inch ones??) and biting the tails off etc where I have not had this and all takes have in fact been quite gentle pulls as I expect from a bass on an SP.

Is this down to bait size? Smaller wrasse going for the smaller 4.5 inch lure as a possible target and ignoring the larger one where bass for example will quite happily try and eat something larger than themselves maybe wrasse will not?

I will stick with what I am doing for now as I am having positive results, Giant Xlayer, change colour rather than size if I am not getting takes. Cast out and let it swing round with the tide still taking line off the reel so I get it on the bottom at max distance and then work it in slowly with rod movements ranging from a few swift but short pulls to longer sweeping actions (but slow not fast) or even just winding in slow and steady with lots of pausing trying to keep contact with unknown bottom.

I have no idea how to feel on the drop takes but I assume that I have to re-engage the reel and feel the lure swing down in an arc. This would not suit where I have been fishing which has depths of some 15m+ at times. The lure would never make bottom with the tide swinging it round on the drop and the limited casting range for a SP on light jighead.

Should I try fingering the line out so I can still possibly feel an on the drop take from another species on the way to wrasse territory??

Lots of questions there!!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I'm still waiting for my 1st SP wrasse Andy, using similar technique as you, just gleaning what I can from posts. I eagerly await a couple more nuggets of info!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
OK, so i've done some experimenting on this one and have some findings, well I have caught fish both times I have specifically targetted them and each time have seen various size shapes following the lure, some dark and some not so dark but all wrasse as far as I could identify. No shiny follows as yet that I have seen.
You will.

I have been using larger SP's, namely Giant Xlayers as I can get them local fairly cheap.

The giant Xlayer is 6 inches. Standard 4.5 inch I think.
I tried this the last few summers on occasion but it resulted in 90% missed bites with the odd big fish.

I have had a few knocks and bumps, and in fact last nigth for the first time some rattles while letting the Xlayer sit on the bottom following a tap tap tap type pull with the rod, feeling it bump rock with the rod and tighten the line to regain contact while resting.
Most of the better fish this quarter have come to similar methods.

I have not yet experienced the fish ripping the bait, in fact I am on the same Xlayer after 2 hours of fishing with it several btes and 2 fish landed and it's still hanging onto the hook OK.
Oh, you will. Or perhaps you should call your sport...Soft Rock Fish LOL

So, why am I not experiencing the same as the Jersey crew? It seems that the wrasse are destroying their Xlayers (4.5 inch ones??) and biting the tails off etc where I have not had this and all takes have in fact been quite gentle pulls as I expect from a bass on an SP.
You might given time. However, it seems you are, for the moment, content to hold out for just the big stuff so things might be different. We are aiming to target smallmouthed hard rock species like Wrasse, Bream etc in one neatly tied up little ball and maximise bites and hookups.

Is this down to bait size? Smaller wrasse going for the smaller 4.5 inch lure as a possible target and ignoring the larger one where bass for example will quite happily try and eat something larger than themselves maybe wrasse will not?
It might be, we'll see. Early day's Andy.

I will stick with what I am doing for now as I am having positive results, Giant Xlayer, change colour rather than size if I am not getting takes. Cast out and let it swing round with the tide still taking line off the reel so I get it on the bottom at max distance and then work it in slowly with rod movements ranging from a few swift but short pulls to longer sweeping actions (but slow not fast) or even just winding in slow and steady with lots of pausing trying to keep contact with unknown bottom.

I have no idea how to feel on the drop takes but I assume that I have to re-engage the reel and feel the lure swing down in an arc. This would not suit where I have been fishing which has depths of some 15m+ at times. The lure would never make bottom with the tide swinging it round on the drop and the limited casting range for a SP on light jighead.

Should I try fingering the line out so I can still possibly feel an on the drop take from another species on the way to wrasse territory??

Lots of questions there!!
We'll do some video to help you out I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts