The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gaz & I popped out earlier today to try for a Wrasse. Not much to report, just the one fish which Gaz caught:

A lovely 4lb 10z winter Rocky.

My legs are still pooped from football on Friday, so after the climb up I could not be arsed with another climb. I went home and Gaz went to another mark, braving the freezing rain and snow.

He phoned me half an hour ago, he's had another Wrasse, this time 6lb. Cracking fish, can't wait to see the photos!

The 4lb'er was a chunky fish, as was the 6 apparently! They must be feeding hard now.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Awesome.

You had better luck than we did.

I reckon the mark we did is better on a neap though.

Still, no excuses..

Soft plastic I take it ?

Bait ?, Method ?

Perhaps those Pollack and Pouting last night sharpened your skills.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Soft plastics yes. The marks we fish are normally best on a neap too. Especially the second one Gaz has had the 6lb'er at, the conditions were absolutely spot on today though.

Edit: The first fish was on a Shrimp & Minnow Xlayer as was the second one I think (Will have to ask Gaz when he gets home)

He will have no doubt moved along the mark a bit to try for a Bass now, so there may be more to report!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Whats with the tartan cape? lol - nice fish there !

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tartan jacket is to hide the rocks, fellow beans will know what coast it was on otherwise!

I've never seen a big one as lightly coloured as that one, the belly was white and you could see it flashing as it was diving for the undercut we were fishing over.

It was quite amusing when the fish took: Gaz "There's a tiny one following my lure, might just leave it, its too small" The fish took the lure and went crazy. Gaz: "******* hell, its not a small one!" Me: I'll get the net!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks guys, both fish were in prime condition, don't know when Wrass spawn but they seem to be really fat at the mo, the photo of the 6lb'er will follow shortly.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Nice one! As if we'd ever guess where it was based on the rocks! LOL.

Seriously, photos of marks are not good idea. Fish that size are old and precious whatever anyone says and too many marks are given away in photos.

The mark we tried today isn't a spring tide mark we decided. But we did get a good look at the boulders and holes the wrasse are using on lesser tides so now at least we can really visualise the area when its underwater (a few snapshots help too).

PS Is Gaz a forum member yet? Any photo of the 6?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
OK Si you got me. I took far too long posting that and didn't see Gaz's post!

And no, I'm off the sauce.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Thanks guys, both fish were in prime condition, don't know when Wrass spawn but they seem to be really fat at the mo, the photo of the 6lb'er will follow shortly.

My thoughts on this are April/May.

Seriously good pig a 6 m8, well done.

Still not the double or at least 8+ I know will come to one of us if we keep at it.
They are only gonna get fatter towards spawning and more hungry.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They seem to be really fat at the moment. I'm sure Gaz will agree, a fish this length should not be 6lb, look at the belly on it!

Absolute beast, none of the fish we had in Sept/Oct/Nov when they are meant to be feeding hard were anywhere near as fat as this. Even the 4.10 Gaz had earlier in the day was a broad fish.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Outstanding stuff gents, please keep it up this soft plastic stuff on the wrasse is brilliant, I used to use such heavy tackle and still get smashed up on them. Like as been said, the bait boys in the club are going to hate this, when we beat them with lures.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I totally agree liam, that fish is the length of a 5lb'er, it is one hell of a fat fish! imagin the size of those longer fish that have followed us in if the have bellies like that one!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We will do. Tony S is going for the Wrasse trophy this year. He will be gutted when he finds out about the 6lb'er!

·
Registered
229 Posts
A couple of crackers there guys, well done.

Must be an even harder fight from the rocks, I can let them tow me around in the yak!

To be honest I'm doubtful whether the gear needed for SP fishing will be man enough to extract a really big wrasse from it's kelpy lair.

I've done a lot of wrassing 'old style' and have been busted on 30lb line using another red rod (Daiwa Graphite Coil)!

I just can't see my Red Dragon handling it, it was bent to the butt with the one I had yesterday.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts