The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Went out for a recce and a fish today looking for a bass. Managed to catch a 6lb 5oz wrasse instead which is a pretty good substitute.

I caught it on a 5" Culprit Stingerworm 'Goby' fished weightless on a 5/0 texposed hook. This fish was about 20" long and thick.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Awesome !!

We've got to get a proper pic up of that...

Email me a copy and I'll put it up for you...

email coming in PM m8.

Now, don't you just wish you was in the wrasse challenge ?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Sounds like an awesome fish - can't wait to see a proper picture. Is that the biggest wrasse this season? Come on, tell us more about the capture & fight!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Woooooooooooooah!!! Well done Andy!!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Ooooooooooooooooooooof! Thats a goat...I can see I am going to have to be breaking british records to win this one (imagine that!)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've sent Keith a photo so I'm sure he'll do the biz with it. The fish looks flat in the photo but I promise you it was so broad across the back and belly, like a big carp, it was incredible. My mate clambered a long way over the rocks to get a photo of me with it which I appreciate.

Basically, I was slowly/gingerly twitching the Stingerworm around the sea bed, in and out of snags etc. The water was about 8 feet deep and to my left was a large rock with a big bed of kelp attached to it. I gave the worm a bit of a twitch and let it fall back to the sea bed under the kelp. I waited for several seconds then went to give another twitch but felt resistance so struck.

Basically, I felt weight, then the thing went mental and dived for cover in the kelp. It was literally under my feet. I shouted to my mate something along the lines of "F**k me, this is the biggest rockie I've ever seen" which got him running. He later commented that all he could see was my rod doubled over to my feet so knew it was decent fish.

It then made three or four howling runs for the large rock but my set up did the biz (Quantum Energy bass and Shimano Exage, 20lb Penn braid, 15lb fluoro leader). After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing I got the pig to the surface where I was able to climb down and scoop it out under its belly.

A quick weigh-in and a couple photos later and it went back right as rain under it's rock...................nice.

Yes Keith, I now wish I was in the Wrasse challenge. At least I know where it lives, I might enter and go back for another go :)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Nice one Andy,

Cracking report and keep them coming !!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Cracking wrasse Andy, bet it went like a demented demon, my best was a shade over 6lb caught in Guernsey, fought better pound for pound then any bass i've caught..:wackit2:

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Formitable mon ami formitable!! Thesed big wrasse in the winter is just mind blowing, I fished for wrasee with crabs for years but never went from nov til april, because you dont catch wrasse in the winter!! Times are a changing, well done Andy, and thank you for sharing it with us.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts