WX8 upgrade | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

WX8 upgrade

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Sandeel

Hi all have any of u been using this stuff for any length of time I've heard good and bad would be interested in anyone's opinions on it thanx Jim

2. Sandeel

I am speaking of WX8 upgrade

3. Perch

Used it last year on my light outfit (22lb) James, but found I had to be really careful tying my leader to it as half the time when I cinched the knots it would just snap. In use I found it fine, no wind knots or anything and in fact never gave way at the leader but I wouldn't like to trust it over rocks. I wouldn't buy it again, there seems to be something "not quite right" about it imo.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Sandeel

I suppose that the price says that really u generally get wot u pay for

5. Sea Trout 2016 Bass Challenge Winner

Mine lasted 3 trips and is now lying on a spool in the garage. Might be ok for some low grade LRF in the future.

It is very fine for the stated bs and I found it snapped far to easily when snagged.

I went back to the tried and tested original WX8 and can't see me changing until they stop making it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pike

Had the 30lb on my main reel all last season and intend going right through this season without changing it. It's been totally reliable for me.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

7. Bass

I used it for a while last year and found it OK but it didn't last long due to the areas I fish mainly over rough ground and went back to good old power pro. I'm spooled up with Suffix 832 for this season, its only been tested once but it seems good line and very good value for money.

8. Bass

You won't go wrong with the 832 Graham. I have been using is for a few years and can't fault it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Striper

It's labelled as "Max xxlb" for a reason - it's weak.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wrasse

Had a fish snap me thought ok maybe I grazed a rock. Then went to pull out a snag 'ping' snapped way to easy. Then at home I was able to brake it with my hands. It's now in a draw and will put it on a lrf reel on day maybe. I'm back on the original WX8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Bass

Used it for 3 months solid fishing over some rough terrain in Scotland in 2014 with only one FG knot leader, amazingly the same line and leader lasted until today when snagged on a creel it finally broke at the knot and I almost managed to get the creel to shore!
    It's the 30lb one, casts a mile and despite more experienced men on here having bad experiences I'm full of confidence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sea Trout 2016 Bass Challenge Winner

Seems to be a trend here . I was using lighter stuff can't remember if it was 16lb or 20lb - but those that like it seem have gone for the 30lb.

The diameter is so thin , perhaps the 30lb stuff would be similar to any other 20lb braid ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Perch

I think I was using the 16lb stuff and although it was very thin and smooth with great casting distance I binned it. Broke far too easy when tightening my leader knot which put doubts in my mind, a few lost lures and that was it.

14. Throbbing Member

I've had no problems with the stuff at all.

I've fought & landed seriously angry sea scorpions & gobies with full confidence.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Sea Trout

My first spool was the best braid I've ever used (soft, thin, cast miles). The second spool was the worst by EVER (stiff and springy). Stopped using it now £25+ is an expensive gamble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Pollock

I had a similar problem with it when tying on leaders but I found that wetting it first solved the problem, like Jeremy though I haven't had any problems when fishing with it.

17. Throbbing Member

Seriously.......I use it & I haven't had any issues with it.

18. Sandeel

I'll try it out see how it goes thanks for all of your opinions folks

19. Sea Trout Staff Member

I used it all last season, never had a single problem with it, knotted well, was strong and really took some breaking if I got snagged. Trying the Daiwa J-Braid this year, that also seems pretty trouble free.

20. Mackerel

Think there are about a billion threads on this stuff - mixed bag of opinions that's for sure

Me and a few mates used the 22lb last year and all had issues. when I did a pull test, it was frequently snapping at 6lb!! One of my mates then swapped to the 25lb, and didn't have any issues after that, and he's using the 30lb this year so far without problems.

I just have no confidence in the 22lb stuff so wont use it again. Max power tracer all the way for me.