The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys,

Just a quickie, what would be the best jig head to use with the Original X-layer? and the best weight for circa 15ft of water over very snaggy ground?

Also, is it best to use a clip or to tie directly to the leader?

Many thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
Over snaggy ground - football shaped heads (more rugby ball shaped - must be a americanism) as they sit better and wont snag up so easy - choose a weight depending on current , depth and presentation say beetween 5 - 10grm.

I find it hard to find decent cheap football heads with strong saltwater hooks, I tend to just use round heads in same weight range preferring ones with a collar as it helps hold the lure in place.

Also for shallower water weightless rigged is good for drifting , slow retrieve etc.

oh and clips make it convenient but I reckon tieing direct to leader is best - I trust my knots more than I do clips.

·
Registered
96 Posts
To minimize tackle loss above snaggy grounds, I like to use Illex Lightning Heads, Revenge Darter Hedz or Storm Lipweights for working (twitches/jerks) soft lures like the X-layers, Sluggo´s or Fin-S (all mounted inversely for better planing) above bottom and somewhat higher in the water column after counting them down, with regular pauses on the retrieve on a tight or a semi-tight line for a slow and controlled redescend… takes come quite often during these pauses.

P.S. I use weights ranging from 5 to 15 grams, according to size soft lure, wind, depth and current.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I make my owm jig heads with a mould that makes them from 1/16oz to 1/2oz in round heads, using owner jig hooks. I usually use 1/4oz for shallow or lower flows and 3/8oz for deeper or faster flows. As others have said, it depends a lot on what you're trying to do, and where, and what line your using.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Robert I tend to use Decoy violence jig heads as they are weedless and just gives me more confidence when prospecting for fish. Owner are doing some hooks that are very similar to the decoy ones and come in bigger sizes too which is going to help me as I tend to use the giant xlayers.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Robert I tend to use Decoy violence jig heads as they are weedless and just gives me more confidence when prospecting for fish. Owner are doing some hooks that are very similar to the decoy ones and come in bigger sizes too which is going to help me as I tend to use the giant xlayers.
The Violence hooks were the style that I wanted but **** had sold out so opted for the heavier Owner jigs.... hopefully heavy enough for me to keep in contact with!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts