The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum member Nev Broad popped over to Jersey again last week, its Nevs third trip to the island and we always manage to find a few fish whilst he is here. Nev usually fishes for the mackerel and gars etc with his fly rod, and had some fun with the mackerel and pollack on the end of Boulay pier this trip, having pollack galore. He recons he could see some pollack to about 4 or 5lb but couldnt get through the sm,aller fish to get his fly down to the bigger ones.

Anyhoo, on friday I showed him Lukes picture with the big Wrasse, he was surprised, and then I told him it was on a softie and his eyes really opened. "Which softie?" he asked, my reply was the same as it ever is when people want to catch wrasse on a softie, "Wrasse will take most if not all softies, but for some reason they absolutely love Xlayers".

So off we go armed with his new Xlayers. Within 5 minutes he had a fish on, and I was surprised to see a beautiful little bass of about and pound and half or so come tearig around the boat, Nev was using a small bait cater reel and rod that he had bought from Bass Pro in the states, it really di put a bend in it.

Anyway we were not far away from wrasse central, the place that when I was into my snorkeling as a kid I saw wrasse that looked like goliath groopers they were so big. With the wind making then drifts almost impossible we bumbles along a reef, then Nev gives out a "Hang on somethings grabbed this" and I look around to see this baitcasting rod bent like a tank arial!! Up comes this creature from the black lagoon, a wrasse that almost looked black it was so dark. The ground below was thick dark brown kelp, once again the rasse matched its background perfectly. Does the wrasse adapt to its back ground or does it search for cover that is the same colour as itself?

Anyway, here is Nevs first ever wrasse on a sp, we decided on 6lb as it was bouncing from 5lb 14oz to just over the 6lb mark. Nice opener, shame he isnt in the piggy bank challenge!!

I managed a few bass on my new secret weapon for Weymouth, tested it good and proper with maybe 3 or 4 small bass and a nice one of 3lb or so. The lure is good, it does what I wanted it to, Weymouth watch out!!

·
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great report ****. That is one helluva Wrasse yer man's got there, how deep was the water there?
About 8ft Tim, with a reef out of the water about 10ft along side the starboard side of the boat, it was a dick with a force 4-5 wind and about a 3 knot tide too, we were bombing along and it was hard to try and fish and watch the boat at the same time, full concentration needed, but the result was worth it, Nev was made up to say the least. It was on a 10g jig head too, if it hadnt been so windy and tidal we could have used 5-7g.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Bonsoir ****,

That's a big old wrasse! You seem to be finding a few lately.

Good to hear the secret weapons for Weymouth are working. I've been doing a little research today over the 'phone. Found out some interesting stuff.

·
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a big old wrasse! You seem to be finding a few lately.
I seem to find them for other people though Paul!! Ha ha. I did used to fish for wrasse all the time many years ago with crabs and rock worm from the shore. So it all comes together when you see a bit of over hang or a wall with kelp you just have to throw a lure in there, its wrasse heaven in so many places we fish so its not exactly hard to catch them, well apart from when you have Henry with you to take some pictures!! If the bass fishing continues on its steady decline around here I can see myself really getting into the sp's and trying to get the british record on a lure, it can be done I recon, it may kill me trying but I would love to see the record go to a lure. Banque des ormes I recon??

·
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much has it changed in the last five years?
Well I know memories are always sunny and great, but honestly mate I could pop out after work and get 6 bass or so with the average being about 3lb and usually a 5 or 6lb'er in the half dozen. A full day out would be about a dozen bass and 9 time out of ten there would be a 5lb+ in there somewhere. Surface lures started in March or April and we rarely caught bass under 2lb, small schoolies were a shock to see? This year has been aweful, I am hoping its just one of those year as the mackerel havent even been here really, but the fact that the last year or two have seen more small fish is a worry. Wrasse fishing is brilliant fun anyway, I actually really enjoy it and could see myself getting into it, but nothing beats catching abig bass off the top, its simply the best sight to see.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Well I know memories are always sunny and great, but honestly mate I could pop out after work and get 6 bass or so with the average being about 3lb and usually a 5 or 6lb'er in the half dozen. A full day out would be about a dozen bass and 9 time out of ten there would be a 5lb+ in there somewhere. Surface lures started in March or April and we rarely caught bass under 2lb, small schoolies were a shock to see? This year has been aweful, I am hoping its just one of those year as the mackerel havent even been here really, but the fact that the last year or two have seen more small fish is a worry. Wrasse fishing is brilliant fun anyway, I actually really enjoy it and could see myself getting into it, but nothing beats catching abig bass off the top, its simply the best sight to see.
S**T those sound like the days! Its depressing to think its on a decline! (due to greed)

Yeah wrasse go like stink eh! I have just converted my mate to s.p wrasse fishing and this was a result of his first trip. To say he was stoked is an understatement! No scales lol but a good chunky fish

I still haven't caught off the top! Its hard work eh!

Attachments

·
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats a pretty wrasse. You come out with me and Bob in the next week or two Richie and we will go surface fishing, keep in touch, pop in and we will sort some evening tides out or something.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great report **** and what a beast of a Wrasse....You could have christened that one Mike Tyson.......;-)

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Wow !! That's a big fat pig !!! Luckily on a boat though, and not in the challenge ;), Luke will be watching with interest :p.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Superb wrasse wherever it is from - boat or shore. Well done for getting your man into some fish, ****.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts