The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just wondering if its ok to use ordinary super glue with xlayers and other SP's to secure it??? Or will it destroy the lure??

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I use owner jig hooks and i find that if I leave the SP on for a long period the hooks become brittle and snap quite easily. so now I take the SP off after each session and rinse the hook and SP. not so easy if you've glued the SP on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Funny you should mention gel. I started using it more by mistake than anything as it was the only glue in the shop at the time. Much better than the thin liquid that seems to get on your fingers so easily.
As Keth has said, softies like the X layer lose their mojo or whatever and you really need to put a fresh one on for each trip. Or anoint them with vaseline and anise oil if they haven't been savaged by wrasse. The flavour really seems to make a difference to catch rates.
Nick.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Vaseline and Oil

I an new to the lure fishing game. I have just read about smearing the above on SP's (X Layers to be precise), as with use, they lose their mojo. Is this a proven tactic/method? If so, can I purchase the essential oils (aniseed etc) from Mr Fish/a tackle shop? Presumably, the oils merge with the vaseline, and the vaseline does not detach itself from the SP, when immersed in Water. Can anyone assist?

·
Registered
101 Posts
The other Nick, well one of the other Nicks made a great thread on scents for softies. There is a lot of useful info if you search for it. Actually it is probably easier to paste it here.

Thanks Nick

OK
If you've been following the home made SP thread you'll know what I've promised (threatened? )

If you're nervous about making molds and SPs and want sometghing easy to try first this is the one

ingredients:
small jar vaseline (€1 in Tesco)
scent (I like aniseed and crab, but you can get just about any scent you want now - coffee, earthworm, shrimp, shad, clam, cherry, chocolate, vanilla the list goes on) - try and use decent quality pure scents as sold for making SPs if possible - they smell better and stronger and don't go "off"

instructions (follow closely)
1) take lid off vaseline
2) microwave slowly - I start at 50% power for 3 mins, then bursts of 30 secs at a time until soft and gloopy - Vaseline will NOT got completely liquid it just loosens
3) stir in scent - use about twice as much for this as you would for an SP (about 1 teaspoon for 200ml vaseline) - stir thoroughly
4) microwave for a further 2 bursts of 30 secs each
5) stir
6) leave overnight to reset
7) use sparingly, liberally or however the heck you want

Get yourself in SWMBOs good book by making a pure vanilla version with the expensive real vanilla essence or a chocolate version with 100% cocoa powder - pour/scrape into a fancy box/container and give it to her as lip balm (or use it yourself for those cold winter night fishing trips but with a more manly flavour gin is nice or whiskey )

yes its that easy
aniseed gives best results as its a very strong smell
but a bit of something fishy (I like crab) gives it a nice usable smell

try experimenting with colours
flouro yellow is good if you fish with live bait
shedding scale effect can be done by adding white pearl powder (SP supplys)

This is also cheap
You can make a lifetimes supply (even for someoe like Keith who seems to fish more than I fart) for about €10
and this stuff works - it won't attract fish like squidgy s-factor - but it doesn't frighten them and when they "taste" they hold on longer

good luck one and all
enjoy

Nick

If you need aniseed oil it is easy to get from a mail order company or health food shop if they stock essential oils. Star anise is very similar to aniseed and you could try that if you wanted to experiment... Have fun.

Nick one of the other ones

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't use superglue to secure any of my sps
Never needed to
I use jig heads with a barbed collar and have never had slippage let alone a fall off
I'd also be concerned that the taste of superglue would put a fish off

Nick - the one who wrote about diy sps and scents

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's interesting Nick about your fears that superglue might put off a fish. I have often thought that it might but I still use it. Mike Ladle has been chopping lures into bits recently and re assembling with superglue with good results it seems.

Will have to have another go this weekend. Tomorrow looks wet in this part of Dorset first thing and Mrs N is at work first thing so that's fishing out of the window. Sunday looks better weatherwise but with perhaps a nagging NE wind setting in. I will pop down early then and try some X Layers with just the barb collar to hold it and no glue.

Nick.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I've been tempted by the superglue approach to keep lures on a jighead such as THESE but Anselmo's put the doubts in now...
*TIP* The barbed collars will rip the neck of an Xlayer to shreds very quickly but if you sticky a hot, pointy soldering iron in the gash and have quick wiggle (sorry, that sounds a bit rude!) you can get a bit more use out of them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for that advice. Will have a go with a hot poker to seal the gash. Tipping down this morning - Mrs N just gone off to work so glad did not try early morning session. Looks better tomorrow for a 4.00am start.

Nick.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
...I'd also be concerned that the taste of superglue would put a fish offdon't use...
Doesn't seem to bother them at all IME. Probably used by a lot more SP anglers in France than there are lure anglers in the UK besides.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have any of you found that the soft plastic gets ripped by the fish around the head of the plastic when using jig heads with barbed collars and/or twist lock holders?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts