The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunny bank holiday, perfect conditions, light breeze, a bit of surf so i headed off to a rocky stretch i've been trying lately only to find the weed in the water put a stop to plugging. Time to really give the xlayers a go. I've caught one or two using them in the past but was rigging too heavy and snagged too often. Went much lighter this time using 5g decoy violence heads, casting over a maze of fairly shallow gulleys and ledges out to where a kelp bed is visible now around low water. Had the drag set very loose and practiced finding my way through the snags not expecting a bite when line whizzed out so i tightened up a little and felt a strong fish on. This one tore around on the surface, zig zagged it's way towards me and went for cover a few times before i had her on the rocks, 60cm long over 5lbs, which is a PB for me. This happened not long before low water so i had a break and waited for the tide to turn. Once it had i was straight into another that fought like hell and measured 56cm, then another at 52cm and one more very soon after at 50cm. Somewhere in between i had a good size wrasse too. All on an original Ayu xlayer. I've seen the light....

_1010878.jpg _1010850.jpg _1010907.jpg _1010901.jpg _1010857.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cracking session there - well done on the s/p success. Clonking Wrasse too - did you get a weight :?:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Simon, unfortunately no weight for the wrasse but it felt as heavy as the larger bass and needed a real tug to land as it dug itself under a ledge. I think it might be time to get a boga grip with scales! Are they pretty accurate?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I think it might be time to get a boga grip with scales! Are they pretty accurate?
I have a Boga grip (the 15lb version), and when i checked the calibration on them, they were spot-on. The slight trade-off though is that the measuring incrementals are quite large, therefore its tricky to get an 'exact' measurement, i.e. you know if a fish is say just over 4lb, or just under, but its hard to say if it's 4lb 1oz, or 4lb 2oz etc . . But to be honest, that's never really bothered me.

Some people prefer to carry an additional set of scales with perhaps a more detailed read-out. Just depends on how much you want to carry around with you - plus you'll struggle to find a set of scales any cheaper than the Boga that anyone will recommend as being reliably accurate.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Super session - very good average size of bass. Well done in switching to the soft lures!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Great report martin,the ayu pattern is certainly a killer.Im out this weekend and im gonna pop my sp cherry..............well ill try.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Top report Martin and great photo's mate...............................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts