The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from a shopping trip to Portsmouth & have worked out the cost difference in our shopping.

Groceries, paid UK = £220. Jersey price = £390. This did include some very good meat deals,plus all the xmas stuff,(mince pies,crackers,cheese,stuffing,etc), fruit,veg,tins,washing stuff,milk,bread etc.

Xmas pressies = £535. Jersey price = £1150 approx. This was mostly clothing some bought from the same stores we have in Jersey, such as a Signature suit at less then half price from M&S, a mirrored Jewelry box from Matalan at £10 that we have seen for 65 in a Jersey shop! Plus loads of casual stuff from Primark.

The difference is approx £785.The carferry, meals out, accomadation & the odd beer = £500 approx.

This still left us £285 better off than staying to shop in Jersey.Btw i did use some of the 285 on duty free's on the boat.(more savings,yahooooo!).
We might have some great fishing over here,but if you do come make sure you do your shopping there first.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Wow, that's some difference Steve !! I'd still pay it to live over there though ;).

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
We all think we live in rip off Britain, Jersey must be a bigger one :eek: Good to hear you enjoyed yourself, did you get any fishing done :?:

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Steve,
The shops never miss a chance to squeeze you when they know you have no choice. Accomadtion on jersey is a good example-roughly double that of the UK from what I have seen.
Worth bearing in mind, food wise France is often cheaper than the UK and the food is much better quality. Had a couple of rock climbing trips to france over the last couple of years, and the food in the supermarkets is so much better than here. Not a single turkey twizzler in sight!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Used to shop in France 2 or 3 times a year,but with the exchange rate & us being held to ransom by the only ferry company it became unviable.But your right Dave, far nicer food.
Be pleased to have you Simon.
No fishing Steve, my vision was slightly impared by all the mulled wine i was drinking to keep warm!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Bloody hell - That's a huge difference really, you guys must have a super strong economy over there! What is the average wage on the islands? Any idea?

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Just back from a shopping trip to Portsmouth & have worked out the cost difference in our shopping.

Groceries, paid UK = £220. Jersey price = £390. This did include some very good meat deals,plus all the xmas stuff,(mince pies,crackers,cheese,stuffing,etc), fruit,veg,tins,washing stuff,milk,bread etc.

Xmas pressies = £535. Jersey price = £1150 approx. This was mostly clothing some bought from the same stores we have in Jersey, such as a Signature suit at less then half price from M&S, a mirrored Jewelry box from Matalan at £10 that we have seen for 65 in a Jersey shop! Plus loads of casual stuff from Primark.

The difference is approx £785.The carferry, meals out, accomadation & the odd beer = £500 approx.

This still left us £285 better off than staying to shop in Jersey.Btw i did use some of the 285 on duty free's on the boat.(more savings,yahooooo!).
We might have some great fishing over here,but if you do come make sure you do your shopping there first.

Sounds like the IoM, the price difference here is huge compared to the UK...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How did you find Gunwharf Keys? my wife is off on a girlie shopping trip on Monday whilst I go to work :/
Gunnwharf quay was ok Alex, as it was close to the old dock yard i dropped the wife off & went looking at old naval boats.The wife said it was good though. She did say the Cascade centre & town were better,lot more choice up there.
Looks quite fishy in a few spots, has anyone tried around here?

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Was going to say....£40k!!

I think the South West UK average is something like £12k!! Which really, is awful. Thankfully, neither myself nor the Mrs fall in that category, don't know how people survive.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Fair enough **** but we are not talking fishing tackle here.

Luxury goods are one thing. If I really want a waterproof camera maybe I can get one off Amazon at not too bad a price.

But bread and milk way over the odds? A joint of meat three times the UK price? It isn't right.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Fair enough **** but we are not talking fishing tackle here.

Luxury goods are one thing. If I really want a waterproof camera maybe I can get one off Amazon at not too bad a price.

But bread and milk way over the odds? A joint of meat three times the UK price? It isn't right.
We can go over to Liverpool and buy Manx meat on the markets cheaper than we can here. Figure that out:!:

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
My mrs friend stayed with us in the summer and on one trip to Checkers (our big local supermarket, supposedly good prices) she was astonished that our one trolly had £240 worth in it for a weeks shopping. She reckons she had done very simular trolly fulls in the UK (north London) for £150, she reckoned you couldnt get £200+ in a trolly back home. It is crazy what we pay here. Average wage may be £44,000 or something, but in reality most people I know earn £19,000 to £32,000, I do have some friends that earn £100K + and its them nutters that bump the average up so much. Bare in mind I rent my flat, its a none heated 3 bedroom flat with 20+ year old fittings (kitchen, bathroom etc) and its £1164 a month, and that is regarded cheap (hense why we put up with the cold etc) for us to change to whats about we are really looking at £1500 per month.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I spent a couple of days in Portsmouth at the beginning of September and the wife did some shopping and exploring around Gun Warf key,what a super place to be with great shops and interesting things to look at etc.
We ate at a place opposite the Spinnaker Tower on a really nice friday evening and it was supurb.
Looking forward to going back next year.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Jersey is a complete rip off. Having lived in the UK all my life up until 6-7 years ago, I was shocked, and still continue to be shocked at how expensive certain things are over here. The thing that bugs me most though are the taxis.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The thing that bugs me most though are the taxis.
Dont get us started on the Taxi's :)

All over here should be real VAT free, not just food etc, GST + Shipping should never be near %17.5

Find it hard nowadays to find the real deals that are cheaper than UK etc - I dont have option to go to UK shopping, but do most of my other non-food shopping on the internet!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts