The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, IS anybody using the pink Y.G.K geso x 8 straid tournament braid, I have heard good reports about it but it is expensive i have ordered some from Japan. Any feed back would to helpful. Cheers

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Hi all, IS anybody using the pink Y.G.K geso x 8 straid tournament braid, I have heard good reports about it but it is expensive i have ordered some from Japan. Any feed back would to helpful. Cheers
Dave,check out my new avatar............
I would have to say that I havn't used it yet as it only came the other day but it looks and feels TOTALLY AMAZING.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Welcome to the world of tomorrow Nick.

Now, Imagine a line feeling half as thin, still 12 - 16lb. Thats the PE 0.8 and 1.0 I'm using for Bass.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got the 0.8.
It is fantastic for fishing into the wind & cutting through surf.
However I stick to 15lb 4 strand for "everyday" fishing & rough marks.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
yep i got some pink braid its great i wont be going back and will happily buy it again and again

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Ok dumb question. Some of this stuff only comes on very short spools. What are you all backing it with? Don't tell me you're using 2 spool per reel, please?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Thats what I was wondering with what I have. 125m on the braid spool I have, but not sure whether to just back up with mono as normal.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Similar question;

I was wondering what size reels you were using with the YGK.

·
Registered
268 Posts
YGK backing is THE only thing to back it with, I only have it on a mile spool in the shop so afraid I cant send anyone any.
****, you got me curious now. Why is this backing the "only" stuff to use? Is this preference or performance speaking here? If performance related, then what does using the YGK backing do for the user?

Having only ever used mono on my fixed spools which were for coarse fishing (always used multipliers for seafishing until this year), its taken a while to get an idea of how far to underfill the spool when using braid. Wind knots can be so much fun when standing precariously, up to the proverbials in the sea.....
One thing that has worked ok for me so far is to take off about 125 to 150yards of the old 12lb mono that was on the spool and replace it with around 125ish yards of braid, which is of a slightly lower diameter. This has kept the spool sufficiently underfilled as to prevent wind knots, so far, but still allows me to cast fairly well with my lures. Not 100% sure what sort of distances I should be able to get with them, but they seem to be finding some fish at last.
That said, this is older 4 strand braid that I have on a bulk spool and obviously thicker than the new 8 strand material. But some fairly simple maths works out roughly what to take off, when compared with what I want to replace it.
And yes, I would love to fill all my reels with the 8 strand, but its a little financially forboding right now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for the reel sizes Keith.

Is the 2500 used with backing or can you use th YGK straight through? Any idea of how many yards of YGK you can get on there?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Tony,
Looks like you will need alittle backing, specs for the 2500 spool size give 1.5PE-200, 2PE-150.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Dave,

Where are those figures from? Are they from a particular reel? From what I can see reel sizes vary. Aren't Daiwas a little bigger than Shimanos for the stated size??

Also, what does 1.5PE and 2.0PE equate to in mm?

I would rather use the braid straight through, despite it being more expensive, and buy an appropriate sized reel for a 150 m/yds spool of it. But doesn't YGK come in smaller spools??

Many thanks,
Tony.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts