The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone tell me what the difference is between the YGK Gesox 8 strand braid in pink that has received rave reviews and the YGK WX8 Real Sports G-Soul?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Hi, can anyone tell me what the difference is between the YGK Gesox 8 strand braid in pink that has received rave reviews and the YGK WX8 Real Sports G-Soul?

Cheers
The YGK Gesox was designed for EGI and the WX8 Real Sports G-Soul was designed as a braid for general saltwater spinning use.

I have never used the pink Gesox version, but I have used the WX8 Real Sports G-Soul extensively and I cannot recommend it warmly enough.

Reactions: Andrew Walker

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Cheers Vidar,

Does the pink YKG gsox sink?

Would both of these be better for SP fishing?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Totally agree Paul,
I will admit to resisting the "PINK" braid, for purely colour reasons. But have been using 1PE and it is so easy to use, and has given a little extra distance with lighter lures.

·
Registered
209 Posts
g-soul_PE.jpg

Yes Vidar is spot on the pink ygk gesox wx8 is designed for squid and cuttle fish, Where as the green g soul wx8 is designed for sea bass fishing, They also make a gsoul pe all round braid that they say is less affected by wind and current and is cheaper in price

Attachments

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Must say I do get confused with these different 8x braids from YGK.
I have been using the 'pink' stuff for the second half of this year and find it brilliant,wander what they mean when they say "designed for squid" and why should it be different.
A dream to use and casts like.........

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
View attachment 2901 View attachment 2902

Hi nick, just to confuse you some more they make a sinking version of the gesox but it only comes in 8lb, 10lb and 14lb strength, they also make a new sinking seabass line aswell comes in 8, 10, 14, 16 and 20lb sorry to confuse things further lol
:-o Do you think its just a kind of marketing exercise or are the different versions actually 'different' braids.
Personally I cant imagine I could find anything better than the stuff I have been using.:-D

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
That is cheap. But beware, I have the 20lb, and it is like rope compared to the pink stuff!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I don't know for sure and may be putting coming up with a 1+1=3, but as far as squid braids are concerned, logicallly it would make sense that they are generally neutral buoyancy. Egis are designed with specific sink rates per second. A floating or sinking braid may mess with the design figures a bit, so in my head it makes sense that the only difference between squid braids and saltwater or bass braids is the increased importance of buoyancy in the squid braid. I may be wrong and the ideal squid braid may be slow sinking, but either way, the sink rate is the only difference. If you're fishing soft baits on the drop a lot then it actually makes a bit of sense to pick an Egi braid over a general sinking or floating one. I wouldn't worry too much about what it says they're for. Just pick one to suit what you want to do with it. The colour does play a part in squid braid too, but Ill admit to not fully understanding it at the mo.

I'd love to see more info out there for which braid float/sink/suspend actually. It would definitely decide my own choices in some cases.

Reactions: Dr.Thomas k
1 - 15 of 15 Posts