The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you still use them? And which ones? They have some lovely new colours in the diving ones, really nice. Got te rep in front of me and he insists they are still popular in the UK?? Any feed back would be welcome before I buy some, cheers guys.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Love 'em ****. Get an account! Mag Poppers, Crystal Minnows always in my box. Great quality build - really robust and they don't chip or flake like some others. Love to see their latest offerings.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I haven't used enough of them to really have too much of an opinion (but know that I don't like crystal minnnows), but I'd suggest they're selling well in the UK because Yo-Zuri and Rapala are all that most people think lure fishing is in the UK. Its all most people will have seen in tackle shops for the past 10+ years.

If they sell for less tha £10 though then I wouldn't argue. They'll do the job nicely, just don't expect them to cast as well or behave quite as nicely as some lures we've become used to using.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
They'll do the job nicely, just don't expect them to cast as well as some lures we've become used to using.
True for Crystal Minnos, Ben, but the Mag Poppers cast like bullets as they have the weight transfer system the Crystal Minnow lacks. Caught all my pike over the last month on the Crystal Minnow but I don't suppose that's very relevant to this discussion. :???:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The Mag poppers do have a very impressive reputation. From a shop keepers point of view, they'd be worth having for sure. Be interesting to see their whole range. Not long now...... if they want to send me any for review ;-)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Crafty, Ben, crafty...
The smaller mag popper is still a very versatile and successful surface lure. Overlooked in favour of the newer Patchinko, Z-Claw etc but always a go-to lure in my box...

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
It is very, very difficult to deny that the Crystal Minnows are a hugely effective lure for all sorts of salt and freshwater predators, and with a finish that really can take some abuse. However, as others have pointed out they cast dismally compared to some more modern offerings, but that has never stopped me from always having a few in my box.

·
Registered
500 Posts
yeah i love them, nice tight action to the crystal minnows and good hooks etc, only probs is the casting but thats nothing major... nice colours too as you say

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
**** I would get an account.
They do some wonderful stuff and their small 'diet' 9gms minnow with the weight shift balls inside is a total stunner.
They cast like a bullet and run down to about 4 foot or so and are one of the best all round fish catching plugs that I have ever known.
Harris used to sell them years ago and I have a few still in my box in the smelt colour with an orange throat.
Stunning lure for all species.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Love the look of crystal minnows and have caught some nice fish on them. You need to change out the crappy stock hooks though and add some owners, ST46 I think? I didn't change them and got a 10KG dogtooth that bent two prongs straight.

Just wish they could put a weight transfer system in them and keep the price to say £12ish.

Less of a fan of the hydro tiger poppers, they look nice but I've never had success with them. Will give them another go as I have five, won't be scared to send them on do or die missions either as they're pretty cheap.

·
Registered
239 Posts
**** I would get an account.
They do some wonderful stuff and their small 'diet' 9gms minnow with the weight shift balls inside is a total stunner.
They cast like a bullet and run down to about 4 foot or so and are one of the best all round fish catching plugs that I have ever known.
Harris used to sell them years ago and I have a few still in my box in the smelt colour with an orange throat.
Stunning lure for all species.
They sound nice, do you have a link to the lure?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh I have always had an account with Yo-Zuri, been selling them here and in the old shop for 15 years +, I just was wondering if we really need them anymore?? Anyway I did the dirty deed and bought a few new colours. I didnt go for the usual lures, like the idiot I am didnt go for any surface ones, sorry but I just love the Patchinko and Z-claw so much so will leave the mag poppers etc to other shops to sell. Thanks for your opinions guys.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hi have the Yo-Zuri red head/silver never had a fish on it , it now stays at home

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
105mm Mag Popper-great surface lure-you know which colour I am after!!
Crystal minnow-great for trolling-but as others have said not much use casting wise.
Magnet Minnow looks great in the 85mm size.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I have some crystal minnows. Seem good and very close to a proper suspending lure out of the box. As for surface lures like the mag popper, well I have a couple and they don't work, but then I can't catch off the top with anything so I wouldn't worry about me on that one!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
mag minnow.. i reckon is still one of the best divers on the market... lovely tight wiggle.. running about 1 metre.. never leave homwe without them 125 and 105... dynamite round here.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
13cm green mackerel mag popper outfished my patchinko by a mile last year,a fantastic lure and ill make sure ive got plenty this year too!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts