The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new boat 10 days ago and took it straight down on holiday to St Mawes.
Boat.jpg
Boat 2.jpg

It is a Trophy 1703 Centre Console with Mercury 90 HP engine. Top speed 36 knots and cruises at 25 knots at 4,500 revs. Used it in flat calm and up to 30 knots of wind and it coped no trouble. (Catch report in the SW Section)

Getting in close to rocky shores in 2' of water was no problem and the design means 3 people could fish comfortably.
View attachment 1931
View attachment 1933

I think even Nathan (the well known hater of boats) was almost impressed.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
lovely boat Nick, would love an open boat for the abilitly to fish all around it. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Stunning Nick, simply Stunning :p

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I see your point ****. They were very forgiving even if the helmsman wandered a bit ;).

I'd love to fly around over here at >25 knots but in my limited experience our prevailing wind and swell just doesn't often allow a sub 20' boat to go any faster in comfort and safety. The Rocads were running about 26knots in flat seas which was enough for me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hull shape is critical. I looked at the Rocad design and it was designed for short choppy swells but very fast in calmer water. I spent 3 winters in small boats in Northern Norway and what was comfortable there was very different in the English Channel. Hull and angle and flare of the V is more important than length. I have crossed Biscay in a 16' boat averaging over 30 knts. That boat was cigar shape.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts