The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as above really - never had much confidence with my z claw (silver top brown at bottom...) as a lure it doesn't walk like a sammy and it doesn't vibrate or wiggle like a feed shallow and it doesn't do stuff like a patchinko...

i've only ever caught a little schooly on one earlier this yr...

a lot of people kill with them on here - am i doing something wrong - how do i get it to work...?

help.....

its a standard size one - with the rattle ... "500" or something like that..

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
less (I think) is more! I never go anywhere without it!! Its the first surface lure I go for!

It'll walk the dog subsurface if you speed up your retrieve and it will slide if you twitch with slackish line. I reckon its faulty so send it to me and I'll have a look at it! Just get yourself a new one :)

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Stunning lure,,,,,,,,,,,especially the "Ghost Claw":-D:-D:-D.
You need a short rod and the way too impart the action (struggling life) is to be very slow and precise using very small movements of the tip.
Deadly.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I love the z-claws !!, the brown one is my favorite :-D
caught a total of 18 bass on it untill I lost it, it got it stuck in a reed bed (along with lots of my other lures) :cry:

Most of my other z-claws were lost due to the knot coming undone on the clips,
worked out why this happened after losing so much gear, I was using Amnesia line as a shock leader, as this line resits kinking it was undoing my knots over a period of days allowing my z-claws to swim off into the distance.

I now only have 2 left, the dead claw and the beast (Magnum) and I don't expect to catch anything on them.

I feel very confident on catching bass when using z-claws, this must be due to the catch rate I have had on them, this could well be down the the mark where I fish.
I fish in flat calm water that isn't too deep and has gullys, maybe I would blank in other venues.

my vote is: z-claw 10/10

·
Registered
447 Posts
Z Claw in mullet my most successful lure this season. I simply cast it out, wait 10 secs after it hitting the water twitch wait, twitch wait, twitch and the the rod is all but pulled out of my hand. I get a lot of swirls to it which i ignore and wait until i feeel the fish or see the line go

·
Registered
62 Posts
To be fair the z-claw doesnt have such a strong action as a sammy and it won't behave like a patchinko, what you need to be doing with z-claws is forget everything you know about the others and treat it like a completely different lure.

As already said i find it works best really slow, twitched, very slow walk the dog, pause.
When i work mine i cast, and let the ripples move out about 6-8ft then twitch, pause for 3-5 secs, then either twitch again or do 3 to 4 walk the dog slow sweeps, pause, twitch, pause, twitch, slow walk the dog, pause, twitch, etc etc.
I'll try and explain but it probably won't make sense. A patchinko is more like a flick of the rod tip where as the z-claw is more of a pull.

The key for me is a flat sea and everything much slower. I also find the takes aren't quite as fierce but that may just be my opinion bass will come from behind and you'll see them after it or nibble at it as i call it (when their nibbling keep working it as you were), sometimes they'll hit it really hard. Whereas the patchinko i find they hit that with immense power from underneath, sometimes coming completely out of the water.

My advice to you is slow it right down and look at is as a z-claw rather than trying to compare the action with anything else, also if you have no takes move onto one of your other lures and find out if the bass are feeding on slow moving baits or slightly faster moving baits that day.
It's the first lure i use without doubt - if i think the conditions are right, but i will also change to another lure after 10 or so casts if i haven't had a hit as it's that good on its day you know straight away if you'll catch or not.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
My first lure to be clipped on also Always get swirls when i use it Bass just nail them I only started to use one recently but it is now my favorite lure Takes vary from slight ripple to explosive I use mine from flat calm to very lumpy with a small surf Just keep trying

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Would have to agree had duck all on it this year had loads of water time the patchinko and the bonnie 128 have put it to shame ah well there is always tomorrow evening to change my mind

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i guess i'll keep trying. i just got to the point where i never hook it on - i guess with a sammy or a patchinko (neither of which i've caught on either - but they feel like they'll catch..) you get some action at the lure. i guess i'll start again with the z claw - flat calm and slow draws then... i'll report back....

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Richard,
I use the Z Claw alot, caught with it just sitting still on the surface-something I have never done with a patchinko or a sammy, caught on a slow wtd retrieve, caught on a fast wtd retrieve (hold the rod tip high or it will dive), caught when diving it and working it subsurface. Just be sure to give it slack after the twitch, and it really only a matter of time until you hook up.
Had 22 bass in session last year on the Z Claw from a patch of water the size of a tennis court, So the bass definately like it ALOT.
Stick with it-it is worth it honestly.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Look, I make zero bones about my lack of topwater work relative to other stuff.
It just doesn't tickle my bones etc...

But, we do, do it when fish are on it.

I don't carry many topwaters but the Z-Claw is one of them.
If you work a Z-Claw too fast, without pauses, I think you are missing out.

I also slightly weight mine to work properly. Remember, the angles and the amount to rock and sweep were evaluated and determined in 'fresh water'. They float too high in salt as do all plugs unless designed for salt. Not many are.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Keith,
Rehooking with Owner St56 makes it behave better in saltwater, but reshape the hook points to cutting points or the heavier wire of the hooks will cost you hook ups. Also gives it a much better "hang time" when you are working it subsurface.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Richard,
I have to wonder whether your lures "bombay ducked" mate. I bought two Z claws from Ben and from the very first cast I was amazed at how easily these lures work. Initially with a 3 metre long rod, then a 2.4 metre and now down to a little 6ft rod. Both lures WTD so easily its unreal.

Keith,
Thanks for the titbit on weighting the lure. I have ditched my trebles in favour for singles on this lure (as well as others). Altho they seem to work ok still, I will get the soldering wire out and experiment with weighting the hooks individually or just running the stuff from between the hook mounts. Either way tho, the twisted solder will serve as a useful place to put my homemade smells upon the lure :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
i guess i'll keep trying. i just got to the point where i never hook it on - i guess with a sammy or a patchinko (neither of which i've caught on either - but they feel like they'll catch..) you get some action at the lure. i guess i'll start again with the z claw - flat calm and slow draws then... i'll report back....
Richard, why don't you join me at Redbridge some time?, it's not that far from you.
although the water is getting a bit too cold for suface lures there might be a few bass waiting for us, this weekend is good for me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
This is how I use z-claws, you have to remember I fish from a bridge over looking the river Test.

Most important thing for me is to fish a incoming tide, this gives me the added bonus of letting the tide do most of the work.
I allow the tide to cary the z-claw up the river for me, once I'm over the weed beds I stop letting out anymore line.

At this point I have a few options open to me.
1. Make the plug splash (a quick lift of the rod tip.
2. A tiny twitch so the plug moves from vertical to horizontal.
3. Do nothing (This has never worked for me, unless I am trying to catch Gulls)
4. Rod tip down and send the claw sub surface like a feed shallow, this has worked for me when fishing from a beach but I have only ever caught schoolies.

I would do a combination of splashing and twitching, the most important thing to remember is the delay between these actions.

Just edited this post to add this, once you have cast the lure it's important to wait at least 20 seconds before working the lure, the splash of the lure hitting the water would have spooked any fish.

First I would start with a couple of small twitches then wait for at least 10 seconds, if no swirls appear near the z-claw I would then try a couple more twitches, still a wait of 10 seconds, if this has failed to produce any swirls I then move onto a Splash, followed by a 5 second wait and a few small twitches.

As I am fishing a incoming tide I keep the plug where it is, allowing the tide to take up the slack line each time I work the lure, this way I am over the same piece of ground, if after 10 minutes I have had no takers I then move the plug to a faster or slower piece of water untill I get a result.
When I do get a bass interested I continue with small twitches, I found that if I stop the bass loses interest and wanders off, keep moving the lure and the basses preditory instincts kick in, I have only caught bass when the lure is being worked.

It's kinda hard to put gut feelings into text, sometimes I feel like I need to bully a bass into going for my lure, if I feel like the bass are there but not playing I will do a rapid burst of little twitches to get there attention.

When I look at the z-claw swirling on the water and it really does look like a fish that is in distress I know I'm working the lure at it's best.

The rest is up to the bass, I have done my part.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pete

what colour z claw you using then - does colour matter..? we ought to hook up. are you about sunday?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Caught several fish on the z claw this season, I work this lure slow, slow slow, with twitches of the rod tip with high casting to make the lure splash down on the water with a slap ,have taken bass on this lure motionless many times, as well as using this lure as a shallow diver with a faster retrieve, the only lure to take on the top and sub surface. Stick with this lure a modern classic for sure.

·
Registered
346 Posts
pete

what colour z claw you using then - does colour matter..? we ought to hook up. are you about sunday?
Richard, atm i'm useing a dead claw, my favorite brown z-claw is in a reed bed surrounded by 3 foot thick mud, i'm waiting for 2 more z-claws and 2 patchinko's in the post from Mr Fish.
No idea if colour makes a difference to the fish, but it makes a difference to me, my confidence when using a dark lure like the brown z-claw goes sky high.

Sunday will be good for me, I will be at Redbridge at 8am and will fish to high tide, hope you can make it :-D
With luck my new z-claws will be with me before Sunday.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts