The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first proper bass session this morning - beautiful morning at a mark just south of Rosslare - (sorry no photos - my camera fell into Lake Bohinj on holiday - that is my holiday not the camera's!)). Its been a long time coming - the fish were properly on. As I arrived just after 5am (having recced the spot and chatted with a local fishing last night) I saw the 2 lads who were there already were catching fish. I had one of those internal consultations with myself - you know the ones that go 'how close do I fish to the 2 lads / it's been a long fishless year / I'm sure they'll understand / he's smaller than me / just do it'.

As is often the case, the strike zone was small, maybe 10m by 5m and moving as the tide went out and the window of opportunity short. It went something like this: Clip on white Z-Claw - first cast - schoolie (2ish lbs), 3rd cast schoolie, 4th cast missed one, 5th cast schoolie, 6 th cast on-off, 7th cast chase, 8th cast big fish (7-8lbs), then another schoolie then on/off - same cast tweak tweak good fish (4-5lb) then all over - time elapsed 20 minutes. (PS on-off is a South African term for hooking and losing a fish).

Now here is the philosophical bit - the other lads were local I think and knew the spot well. They were using spoon and a swimming plug. After my second fish one of the lads put on a patchinko. I noticed a couple of things:

(1) the Z-Claw accounted for the 2 big fish of the session - no takes on the patchinko
(2) the Z-Claw definitely caught more fish

I was wondering why this should be? My initial conclusion was that both spoon, plug and patchinko were all being retrieved pretty quickly without pauses whilst I was doing the Jim-Hendrick signature retrieve with the Z-Claw - slow sweeps and stops. (I remember he kept telling me to slow my retrieve down and use pauses). The big fish made hardly any splash - she grabbed the lure while it had it's nose under the water - which the Z-Claw does if you are retrieving rod tip down.

What does the brains trust think?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I think that is a great - no, spectacular! - session off the top. The Z-Claw has many fans including me and often the takes are very subtle with fish not breaking the surface. If you aren't watching carefully the first thing you know is the pull on the line. I have little faith in my Patchinko for some reason, but the Z-Claw just seems to get their attention and produce more takes. Well done. Jealous.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Great session Rolfe! Can't complain about an 8 lb fish first time. How does it compare to taking Leeries off the top?

I tend to use my Z claw when it is calm and patchinko when it is a bit rougher. Perhaps the Z claw looks to be nearer deaths door and thus on average takes bigger fish that are looking for an easy meal.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've found with bass in general slower is better - they aren't a flat out retrieve species - which is probably why SPs work so well for them
The z-claw is a surface walker so slow and stop-start is its best action anyway
combine the 2 with feeding fish and you have the chance at a session like you had

I'm hopefully down that way next weekend (fingers crossed)

Jealous +1

Nick

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Awesome :clap:. I'm a BIG Z-Claw fan, and stop-start is deffo King when it comes to that lure. I'm with Tim, in that it's outfished the Patchinko in a big way for me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great session mate :) i was pondering on either getting a z-clae or a patchinko....i think you have made up my mind, what colour do you guys go for??

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
My current fetish is the Patchinko 100. I personally dont think it can be beaten, but you have now tipped me over the edge. I will buy a Z-Claw and give it a whirl, see what all this fuss is about.

Cracking session by the way!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Well done Rolfe!
I am in Cobh for a fortnight from Sunday - you coming down that far?

May have something to do with the baitfish - I view the patchinko range as sandeel representations and the z-claw as a proper big baitfish ... I rate both and I have a 100 to try next week too :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments - not having a go at the patchinko by-the-by - I just don't have a lot of confidence in it yet - I've no doubt it'll do the business for me at some point. Re:Leerfish - I've had a couple only, one on an SP on 4lb mono - 70cm and a smaller fish on a 5cm floating Rapala - a deadly sub-tropical estuary lure. Never really concentrated on them - will remedy on my return to SA. I'm certain the Z-Claw will be lethal in estuaries & river mouths - not so sure about the surf.

Hi Alex - are you fishing alone or hooking up with someone? Cobh's about 185 clicks from where I am - in Irish terms that's another time zone though let's keep in touch - I may be fishing with Cian (Henry's mate who has a new shop in Tramore) so that will be nearer your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes have found when using the z claw that bigger fish tend to come on this lure, I feel as i tend to slow the retrieve rate down, stop and start and then bang, Ive also had fish sub surface on this lure i feel the fat body of this lure is seriously attractive to larger fish and the action is the icing on the cake. The patchinko is a superb lure though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice session Rolfe,, well done! Have both the z-claw and patchinko and to date Id have to side with the patchinko. Saying that thou I have not fished the z-claw that much always reaching for the patchinko instead when deciding to go onto the surface...however after reading your report l think it may be time to give the z-claw a proper go!

Was it very calm this morning when you where fishing it??

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think Ben's point about Z-Claw - calm, Patchinko - rough is an excellent one. During the purple patch the water was rippled but no waves - after the tide turned and I had to fish into the wind and there was a roll on the water I put on a Patchinko automatically. The Z-Claw would have been hard to control in the swell.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Cheers Rolfe. I think the rougher water works with the patchinko to create bigger splashes etc... just what is needed in those conditons. And in calmer condtions the subtlety of the Z claw gains the day.

Make sure you take a nice mullet colour patchinko to SA for those Garrick they will not be able to resist.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Rolfe nice to see ya got a few silver boys,

Maybe im wrong(sorry in advance if so) but was it yourself I met down there the first day after the ban? Hook,feedshallow,thumb? ring a bell that day? :???:

·
Banned
1,282 Posts
I'm in for a new patchinko after launching one towards the point at Inch following a dose of line "tip wrap". I found that it was getting a few follows that would veer off for no apparant reason, left it for long pausaes and small twitches, and can only think they may have preffered a smaller lure. So it's the baby patchinko and a z claw, after reading all the reports.
Excellent fishing Rolphe.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Rolfe nice to see ya got a few silver boys,

Maybe im wrong(sorry in advance if so) but was it yourself I met down there the first day after the ban? Hook,feedshallow,thumb? ring a bell that day? :???:
Ouch! Nope Ger not me - thumb and feedshallow very much seperate ;) - must be two good looking Saffas's in the Southeast. Who knew?

·
Registered
129 Posts
No bother sorry must of been your twin :???:

Im jealous of your catches and need my fix lol..... so im off down that area at about 4am maybe....say a prayer for me :-D

Tight Lines.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts