The Lure Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations as to where and when and which guide?

I fancy some vertical SP jigging later this year (BA and ash clouds allowing).

·
Registered
540 Posts
If the planes are still grounded you could take a ferry and fish Rutland or Graffham waters here in the UK (Graffham is currently applying for the British record with a fish of 22lb)

I have fished both waters and have had good numbers of zeds upto 8lb, also big perch and giant pike!!!

just another option, (personally I would love a session with Bertus Rozemeijer - the Netherland zander legend)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Iestyn, I've fished Grafham for trout a few times but never lure fished. What's it like? Are there the usual rules about lure size and can you go any day or is it just certain days like some other large Anglian waters resevoirs in the Northampton area?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Nevermind, I found the info I was looking for. All the Predator fishing rules for Anglian water are in this pdf...
http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/_assets/media/Permit-prices-2010.pdf

Seems it's fly only for Grafham after 16th of June and only lures over 18cm during Oct/Nov..

Pitsford allows a bit more flexibility but lure size is still a problem.

If you really want to catch Zander in the UK I would consider a boating holiday on the norfolk broads for restriction free lure fishing. Plenty of Zander in those parts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
take a look here

http://www.zanderland.fi/

will be off to the inlaws 600km north of Tampere for my anual 3 weeks freshwater fix,Tampere is very handy though,with very cheap ryanair flights from stansted and dublin and plenty of accomodation

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Sorry, for not replying earlier but I haven’t noticed this thread before now :-o:-o

Iestyn is spot on in regards to Grafham and Rutland. Especially Grafham is fantastic for Zander and I have had specimens to well over 10Ib from there. Other very good UK venues for for zander lure fishing are River Severn (where the current UK zander record originates from) around Upton Upon Severn and Tewkesbury, plus the Warwickshire Avon also around the Tewkesbury area. Forget about the broads for Zander, but the Cambridgeshire drains and rivers, including the Great Ouse, will hold fish that can equal or better the current record.

Zander is not very widespread geographically in Norway and are limited to some waterways in the South East. However, the fish that are available can grow to epic proportions, which is confirmed by the Norwegian record that tops the 24Ib mark. My PB zander was caught in Southern Norway, on a soft plastic jig, almost 20-years ago and weighed in at 7.5kg or 16.5Ib.

There are some prolific zander fishing to be found in Southern Sweden too, but considering you have literally ten-of-thousands of waters bodies to choose from it is difficult to know where to go without hiring a guide.

The huge Dutch brackish inland seas such Volkerak (many of them created due to the building of sea/flood defences) are currently the zander Mecca of Europe and fish to over 15kg can be caught. There is a thriving zander fishing competition circuit in Holland and much of the innovative techniques for catching them has either been developed or refined over there.

One of the best, if not the best, UK zander lure anglers is Dave Pugh and reading his website is time very well spent.

http://www.lurefishinguk.com/index.html

If you fancy a go at Grafham this autumn (I have since long booked a couple of days, including the predator fishing opening day on October the 11th) send me a PM and we can organise for me to take you out there.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
If the planes are still grounded you could take a ferry and fish Rutland or Graffham waters here in the UK (Graffham is currently applying for the British record with a fish of 22lb)

I have fished both waters and have had good numbers of zeds upto 8lb, also big perch and giant pike!!!

just another option, (personally I would love a session with Bertus Rozemeijer - the Netherland zander legend)
If that Grafham fish is approved as the UK record I will eat my hat :evil::evil: :shock::shock: :mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you fancy a trip up to the drains around Cambridgshire Vidar let me know!

I used to live in March (cambs) and I have family in Wisbech and Tilney St Lawrence, plenty of big drains up there probably full of fish. I never fished them while I was up there but it's only an hour and a bit up the road for me.

Also, where the river runs through outwell and upwell looks very nice and the sixteen foot and middle level main drains run into each other at Threeholes, looks good too.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
If you fancy a trip up to the drains around Cambridgshire Vidar let me know!

I used to live in March (cambs) and I have family in Wisbech and Tilney St Lawrence, plenty of big drains up there probably full of fish. I never fished them while I was up there but it's only an hour and a bit up the road for me.

Also, where the river runs through outwell and upwell looks very nice and the sixteen foot and middle level main drains run into each other at Threeholes, looks good too.
Thanks for that :):):)

Because many of these are not that easily accessible with a boat (I much prefer vertical jigging from a boat) I haven’t really lure fished the Cambridgeshire drains and rivers as much as I should. I’ve done a fair bit of deadbait fishing on some of them, but that is about it. I have a few friends that have had, and currently having, some excellent results from these drains so maybe I should put more effort into them. The problem is there are too much great fishing to be had and far too little time.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yup, far too much!

The beauty of the Cambridgeshire drains for me is that I can drop off my little girl with her Nan for the Day as she lives in Wisbech and hit the drains for the fishing. I've not fished them much to be honest but I intend to a lot more this year :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts