Zenith Z claw! | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Zenith Z claw!

Discussion in 'Surface Lures' started by {name}, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Striper

image.jpeg

So, the Z claw!

Highly rated and a lure which is mentioned a lot, but for me......not a single fish in 5 years! I have several colours and both sizes, but its well and truely my nemesis lure. Give me a Patch 100 any day!

How do you work yours? There is no way this lure is defeating me! Lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Sea Trout Staff Member

The last two bass I had on that very same lure in Mullet hit it when stationary. Cast out, pause, slight twitch, long pause, BANG!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pollock

I have the rattlin version in same colour, not a fan of silent TPW lures, not sure which one you have. When the fish are next hitting OTT, use the lure, give it a chance to catch and build your confidence.

I like to WTD tight and other times wider. Straight retrieve with a subtle WTD added in here and there is also good and can raise rod and small sharp jerk on lure, it will nose up and down lure etc. Usual pauses mixed in etc.

It is versatile, can even be used sub-surface and brought back up, though I have tended not to use it that way.

4. Striper

I tend to find it goes sub surface on a steady WTD

5. Pollock

Only if it has a leak or too rougher conditions Dan. When I had the little Claw, that did tend to sink alot easier. Try using it rod tip, with diifferent angles on rod to see what angle works best on the lure.

You need to luv the lure as much as your Shorliners mate :muttley:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pike

It's a bogey lure for me too. Heading to France (Benodet) tomorrow for 10 days. Might dig it out and try some of the advice above.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Snapper

I'm not 100% sure but I think the funny looking lump of hard plastic in the mouth of this 73cm fish is a z-claw.

[​IMG]

:)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Pollock

Put mine in the box of doom next to the salt skimmer, to be left in the garage. Prefer the patch or frosty for surface work.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Striper

One of my top lures, in calm seas a tight walk for 5-6 taps then a few second pause will catch fish all day long, in more of a messy sea work them a bit harder to get it to dip just sub surface, again the pause is very important, in a long or large swell work them up the face of the wave up to the crest then pause down the back of the wave ;-) the fish will often use the wave to come up behind the lure as it is about to crest which can result in very explosive takes

• Like Like x 2
  10. Pollock

Dave doesn't like people holding his fish Bill :muttley:.

I like the Death Claw.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Minnow

Theyre my go-to lure whenever seas are calm. There's really something to the deeper and more stable ride this lure has in comparison to say a patch or a frosty. I work them very slow and like to use them whenever fish seem to miss other TW lures. I love to pull them subsurface when I know a fish is on to the lure. 100% hit guarantee.. IMG_6792.JPG
    This one took the notorious 500g, shortish but heavy built fish

• Like Like x 2
  12. Pollock

looking at these big fat chunky fish I may have to put it back the A team box!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Blenny

14. Blenny

Gotta be one of the most versatile lures out there , work it slow for surface walking , or speed it up with varied twitches for an erratic sub surface time bomb , never fails !

• Like Like x 1
  15. A

If you're fishing current like an estuary, just cast it out and let it drift, put in the occasional twitch but don't wind in...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Pollock

I acquired a couple of the “Phelps” versions mid-season and fished them exactly like Matt has described , the only difference was that I did not impart any action at all, just maintaing contact with the lure . The fish were hitting the lure at the end of the swing as it was coming around . It was obvious to me that the fish were following the lure until the last minuet and hitting it before it went out of their sight . One observation , all connections were not clean ones (not hooked in the mouth) they were mostly in the Gill Plates or under the mouth , looked like they were trying to stun the lure like they would with a real Baitfish before inhaling it . I had actually changed the hooks on these lures from ST -46’S to YS-21’S as a YS-21 is a better and sharper hook. I also tried the other Z Claw that’s the size up from the “Phelps “ , but failed to interest any fish , I put this down to the size of baitfish that was present .

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1