The Lure Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was looking to buy a zonk 120 and after reading about what people had said about the yoro yoro and high pitch I decided on the yoro yoro but now when I am going to buy one I have found that there is another version. The other version is a SW (salt water) just wondering if these are as good. They weigh 20g rather than 18g. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The Zonk Gataride 120 is a floating, shallow-diving lure, and it kills big time - two different shaped lips, both work......

The Zonk 120 SW is a slow sinking lure, and I know there are various bods on here who rate these lures in a huge way............going to get hold of some myself in fact.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've seen three different lips, rounded, coffin shaped ( both hinged) and the older fixed one piece lip. What ever you get mate...................your going down!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Zonk Gataride 120 is a floating, shallow-diving lure, and it kills big time - two different shaped lips, both work......

The Zonk 120 SW is a slow sinking lure, and I know there are various bods on here who rate these lures in a huge way............going to get hold of some myself in fact.
Thanks for clearing that up henry

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
The Zonk 120 sinking in the chartruse (cant spell) colour is a total killer at the right time,casts well and does everything well.
A must have plug for all pluggers.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Zonk 120. The sinking version that is. If worked straight they come in at about 5ft I guess but you can fish the twitch and pause letting the lure sink between twitches. Personally I prefer a proper twitch, as in "yank" the rod right back behind me so you really feel the lure dig in and then count to ten lettign the lure sink. I had a 4lber absolutely nail it 8 seconds into my 10 count last autumn, fishing in 20m of water.
As for colour, I don;t know what is best but I like the GG Cruising Blue myself.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
There are 4 types of Zonk 120...
the gataride yoro yoro, floating, rounded hinged lip, shallow diver
the gataride hi-pitch, floating, pointed hinged lip, shallow diver
the Zonk 120, sinking, coffin shaped lip, medium diver
and the Zonk SP, sinking, no lip, various depths

There's also the Zonk 77 in 3 forms too but not SP

All designed as SW lures and as Andy M has suggested, 'ripping' the bait as hard as you can then pause is a killer. Do a full 90 degree sweep with the rod then wind like fury to take up the slack whilst you return the rod to the forward position, and pause. You can feel the Zonk fizz through the water. A stiff fast action rod gets more out of the Zonk than a regular or soft rod.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm sure I read somewhere (might be here) that the gatarides go deeper than actually stated, or I may be mistaken and it was the sw?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'm sure I read somewhere (might be here) that the gatarides go deeper than actually stated, or I may be mistaken and it was the sw?
Hard to be accurate looking down through water but I'm sure my Yoro-yoro's go down to 2' or more.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies now all I have to do is pick a colour. I like the inakko, crusing blue and iwashi. I do like the Chatreuse which you recomended nick but have a feed shallow in that colour so was wanting something different. Just wondering what colour people have had most their success on on here. Any feedback would be great.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Thanks for the replies now all I have to do is pick a colour. I like the inakko, crusing blue and iwashi. I do like the Chatreuse which you recomended nick but have a feed shallow in that colour so was wanting something different. Just wondering what colour people have had most their success on on here. Any feedback would be great.
And isn't the feed shallow in the chartruse colour a great plug.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts