The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me what depth these run at i thought it was sub/shallow but i've seen elsewhere it's more like 4ft+

·
Registered
231 Posts
Seems to fish very shallow maybe 30cms under the normal one goes a lot deeper though maybe you sad info on the gataride and normal zonk??

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Hi Pitch is about 4-5'
Yoro is meant to be about a 1' (haven't found anyone selling these over here yet)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi Pitch is about 4-5'
Yoro is meant to be about a 1' (haven't found anyone selling these over here yet)
Having looked at the Megabass web site the standard Zonk 120 is 1-1.2 metres and the Zonk 120 Gataride is listed as 0.15-0.3 metres, the site shows both the Yoro-Yoro and Hi-Pitch but does not indicate there is any difference in the running depth.

Bass Lures stock Gatarides in both the Yoro-Yoro & Hi-Pitch versions.

Glen

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Having looked at the Megabass web site the standard Zonk 120 is 1-1.2 metres and the Zonk 120 Gataride is listed as 0.15-0.3 metres, the site shows both the Yoro-Yoro and Hi-Pitch but does not indicate there is any difference in the running depth.

Bass Lures stock Gatarides in both the Yoro-Yoro & Hi-Pitch versions.

Glen
Have you a link for Bass Lures? I'll try googling it now cheers

Found it www.basslures.co.uk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I need to buy a couple of Zonks to add to my lure bag, which ones would you advise getting fellas, thinking of buying two?

Many thanks

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Glen,
reguardless of what the website says, I guarantee the hi pitch version swims at ALOT more than 0.3 meters. More like 1.2-1.5 meters (orginal is anywhere between 1.2-2 meters depending on the retrieve), still a great lure though. ONLY the yoro version is truely shallow. I have both and the orginal Zonk-all have their uses. But anyone buying a hi-pitch hoping for a super shallow lure is going to be dissapointed, great mid depth lure, with the same strong Zonk action as the orginal.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Dave

I never realised there were two versions when I bought a Gataride, from Bass Lures last year, which I now know is the shallow running Yoro-Yoro version.

I will now have to get a Hi-Pitch version just to complete the set! :-D

Glen

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it sounds like the yoro yoro version i want thanks alot everyone

·
Registered
268 Posts
Why can't lure manufacturers make it easier?? Especially the Japanese. To have an idea of a lures working depth within its name, would make life a whole lot easier!

My thanks to Dave tho for that tit bit of info up there. All I need to do now is to find the yoro yoro as most of my fishing is done in the shallows. But then I also need a hi pitch as well for when I get out with my son in his boat. After that, I think maybe an extension on the flat to accomodate this never ending need for "one more" lure ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Can vouch for the yoro-yoro ... kicked everyother lure in the nuts in Ireland ... sardine green did the biz for me!
Alex do you know the Japanese name of the one you were using....or the one i lost :oops::oops:

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The one you donated to the sea gods was a standard zonk in mullet - may be innako?

The one I was using is an old old yoro yoro in sayoriu I believe - sardine green and its at least a couple of years old ... not caught alot on it until I came and used it over in Ireland !

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks alex i will have a look tomorrow for one of maybe a feed shallow :) not sure about the single hooks though :), looking forward to the report :)

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Glen,
reguardless of what the website says, I guarantee the hi pitch version swims at ALOT more than 0.3 meters. More like 1.2-1.5 meters (orginal is anywhere between 1.2-2 meters depending on the retrieve), still a great lure though. ONLY the yoro version is truely shallow. I have both and the orginal Zonk-all have their uses. But anyone buying a hi-pitch hoping for a super shallow lure is going to be dissapointed, great mid depth lure, with the same strong Zonk action as the orginal.
Dave I have found exactly the same thing.
My verdict on the Gataride is "dont bother" as there are many plugs out there that will do the same job and dont 'fall to bits' on the first few casts.
Words like "Hype" come to mind after my experiences with this model etc.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I held the same opinion - it was a often used lure in the box that hadn't really caught much until I went over to Ireland and it has consistently caught in the last fortnight - Irish bass love gaterides ... fact! (I have chopped and changed and gone back onto the yoro-yoro and got results almost instantly ...)

A couple of the guys out there also use them alot and have had good results ... altho' on the hi-pitch and not the true shallow yoro-yoro ...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Found this by chance this morning.

For me, its opened up the use of the gataride. twenty odd quid on a lure is fair enough in my mind, if its able to hold its own. But the risk of breaking the bib on the font of these has put me off buying them so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its a range of plugs that undoubtable is up there with the best lures available but for me I just don't seem to get them on the end of my line all that often!!!
One when I have fished them they just wouldn't fish shallow enough for where I usually fish,then theres the worry about the lip and again with submerged rocks around I just don't end up fishing them......

Much prefer throwing a KomomoII for super shallow then maybe my Komomo SF125 if I need to go a bit deeper a Sasuke then a Nabarone....There where my confidence is as well as a few others......Rapala max rap,Megabass X-120/140,the Tideminnows in all three sizes........

Shame as they have obviously got a lot to offer and the 120 range do cast like absolute bullets!!!! For a range of lures Ive seen so much written about I think Ive four of them and Ive no confidence in them at all!!! I am afraid the Zonks just don't do it for me here in N Wales!!!

Ive got most of this below off the Megabass site ,Ill probably be corrected on some of this but....
The range is:

Zonk 77 - 3/8 oz - slow sinking lure runs at 50cm - 100cms (has the thin glass fibre solid lip)

Zonk 77 Gatoride - 10.9 grms - super slow sinking (has hinged lip similar to the high pitch gatoride) "really slow sinking and to me seemd to swim at around aprox 50cms"

Zonk 120 - 20gms - slow sinking , runs at around 100cm-120cm (solid lip) "seems a lot faster sinking than the Zonk 77"

Zonk 120 Gatoride-20gms - Yoro Yoro - floating runs at around 30cms (semi circle hinged lip)
High Pitch - Floating runs at around 100 cms (less round hinged lip) "Don't know about others but when I used mine this one seemed to fish deeper than 30cms and didn't seem any different to the Zonk 120 in depth"

http://www.megabass.co.jp/product_list.php?item1=3&item2=2#1132

1 - 18 of 18 Posts